Your Hotrod or Classic Car Pics

One thing you should consider when owning a older car is collector plates. Both of our cars have collector plates as of this year.
Over the past years, I just insured the cars for 6 months and 6 months of storage insurance. Both cars now have collector plates and are now insured for the entire year with the same coverage. Here is the pricing.

1971 Corvette 1 yr with out collector plates $860, with collector plates $220
1966 Mustang 1 yr with out collector plates $820 with collector plates $180

The insurance company told me you have to pay for the entire year and I said the whole year with collector plates is 1/2 of what I've been paying for 6 months.

If you have an old car, truck, or motor bike and you can apply for collector plates do so. It's easy and all the info on the requirements are on the ICBC web site.
My 65 Mustang and my 81 Honda CB-750F are both on collector plates. The bike I insure from about April to end of October..then store it for the winter months.

One thing you should consider when owning a older car is collector plates. Both of our cars have collector plates as of this year.
Over the past years, I just insured the cars for 6 months and 6 months of storage insurance. Both cars now have collector plates and are now insured for the entire year with the same coverage. Here is the pricing.

The insurance company told me you have to pay for the entire year and I said the whole year with collector plates is 1/2 of what I've been paying for 6 months.

If you have an old car, truck, or motor bike and you can apply for collector plates do so. It's easy and all the info on the requirements are on the ICBC web site.
Yup - my 1992 Miata now costs around $275 a year. There are fewer restrictions than many people think. You need another car insured 'normally' and you can't drive the collector to work or school. Perfect for a retired guy who never does either. My 2001 Dodge 2500 is getting close.

I've put 2 cars onto collector plates. In both cases there was a bit to do first [upholstery or carpet repair] but the insurance savings in year 1 paid for all that.

My car when I was 25.
383 Stroker with a turbo 350 and 4.11 gears. Kind of stupid, barely made it to 100km without just screaming. Could light em' up at any speed though, which got expensive. The 160db stereo was even more impressive? LolScreenshot_20231030_123756_Gallery.jpg

My car when I was 25.
383 Stroker with a turbo 350 and 4.11 gears. Kind of stupid, barely made it to 100km without just screaming. Could light em' up at any speed though, which got expensive. The 160db stereo was even more impressive? LolView attachment 99363
where's the pic of you wearing a dew rag and checkered plaid jacket and baggy jeans lol doing the "westside" symbol with your hands :p haha

I bought a 66 Pontiac over 30 years ago as a second car and have saved about $800 a year on insurance. That $25,000 in insurance savings has paid for the car 6 times over. So....if you're looking for some information to support your argument with another person in the house to buy an old car, that calculation might help. And, they increase in value each year. It's a win, win!

I bought a 66 Pontiac over 30 years ago as a second car and have saved about $800 a year on insurance. That $25,000 in insurance savings has paid for the car 6 times over. So....if you're looking for some information to support your argument with another person in the house to buy an old car, that calculation might help. And, they increase in value each year. It's a win, win!
And they are fun in your older years. Gives you a reason to get out of the house and join others at show and shines. Others admire your ride, work, share ideas and sources for parts. Its funny everyone says all the horsepower I built will mean new tires will be needed sooner than later, I tell them the same thing...I'm not 16 anymore. Now it is all about getting up to speed as fast as I can without spinning off the rubber. Spinning wheels is just what it means....you ain't going anywhere, just a lot of noise. I enjoy pushing the car to its limit without breaking the rubber free...that is maximum acceleration and it is harder to do, some finesse is needed. . Anyone can dump the clutch and burn out..

If you are going to store your cars for the winter, here is a good option.

I have three cars I store during the winter, but I only have a large two car garage. I measured the garage and noted I have 3 ft to spare if all three cars are in the garage. But how do I get them side by side. I went to Princess Auto and purchased 4 car dollies, and each can hold 1500lb. Jacked the mustang up and on to the dollies then pushed the car sideway into the middle of the garage. I was very surprised how easy the car was to move around on the dollies. I could get the cars close enough to get in and out of the RCF and even move it in and out of the garage.
All four dollies cost under $150.

The dollies are probably a good option to move lots of things around the garage. Also cheaper than the hoist I was think of installing.

Attachments

• Car storage.jpg
    Car storage.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 81
  • car storage 2.jpg
    car storage 2.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 81
If you are going to store your cars for the winter, here is a good option.

I have three cars I store during the winter, but I only have a large two car garage. I measured the garage and noted I have 3 ft to spare if all three cars are in the garage. But how do I get them side by side. I went to Princess Auto and purchased 4 car dollies, and each can hold 1500lb. Jacked the mustang up and on to the dollies then pushed the car sideway into the middle of the garage. I was very surprised how easy the car was to move around on the dollies. I could get the cars close enough to get in and out of the RCF and even move it in and out of the garage.
All four dollies cost under $150.

The dollies are probably a good option to move lots of things around the garage. Also cheaper than the hoist I was think of installing.
i use them to move cummins blocks around the shop

With receiving collector plates for our vehicles, it was recommended to get an appraisal done. The reason being that if the car was trashed, disappeared, or burned to the ground you need some documentation of the vehicles condition at a set time. I shopped around and found Van Isle Auto Appraisal in Victoria. The owner Mario Erlic who for years worked with Price Waterhouse doing appraisals and now in his 50s is mainly doing appraisals on vehicles.

He came over and went totally over the cars inside, outside and undercarriage, he even checked out the storage facility to confirm the environment the cars are stored in quality. We talked about the history of the vehicle, and he made notes on everything. After the vehicle inspection he took all my receipts, records, and the written documented history of the vehicle. In a week we met up and went over the report on one of the cars

I ended up with a six-page report for the Mustang, which has 4 pages of written report, which is well written and explains the car in detail, it’s history and how he produced the value of the vehicle. The other two pages of the report were back up information on how he produced the price appraisal. The two pages were lists of comparable vehicles sold (25) in the last five years and comparable vehicles (20) on the market for sale.

The report was way more in depth than I expected and better than any other appraisals I have had done in the past and at a reasonable price. The cost depends on the vehicle and is anywhere from $350 to $500 and he provides discounts to any Torque Master Members.

If you are looking at getting a vehicle appraisal done, I highly recommend Van Isle Auto Appraisal (Mario Erlic). Ph 672 974 9764 https://www.vanisleautoappraisal.com/

Believe it or not a lot of body shops only do ICBC repairs and do not paint cars anymore.
Now I have to find someone who paints cars in the Vic area, any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

When I got my collector plates for my Fiat Spider, I took the minimum 3rd party liability from ICBC and went with Hagerty for additional liability as well as collision and comprehensive. I was able to “declare” a value which was within the range Hagerty found acceptable without a formal appraisal. Their rates were very reasonable.

With receiving collector plates for our vehicles, it was recommended to get an appraisal done. The reason being that if the car was trashed, disappeared, or burned to the ground you need some documentation of the vehicles condition at a set time. I shopped around and found Van Isle Auto Appraisal in Victoria. The owner Mario Erlic who for years worked with Price Waterhouse doing appraisals and now in his 50s is mainly doing appraisals on vehicles.

He came over and went totally over the cars inside, outside and undercarriage, he even checked out the storage facility to confirm the environment the cars are stored in quality. We talked about the history of the vehicle, and he made notes on everything. After the vehicle inspection he took all my receipts, records, and the written documented history of the vehicle. In a week we met up and went over the report on one of the cars

I ended up with a six-page report for the Mustang, which has 4 pages of written report, which is well written and explains the car in detail, it’s history and how he produced the value of the vehicle. The other two pages of the report were back up information on how he produced the price appraisal. The two pages were lists of comparable vehicles sold (25) in the last five years and comparable vehicles (20) on the market for sale.

The report was way more in depth than I expected and better than any other appraisals I have had done in the past and at a reasonable price. The cost depends on the vehicle and is anywhere from $350 to $500 and he provides discounts to any Torque Master Members.

If you are looking at getting a vehicle appraisal done, I highly recommend Van Isle Auto Appraisal (Mario Erlic). Ph 672 974 9764 https://www.vanisleautoappraisal.com/

Believe it or not a lot of body shops only do ICBC repairs and do not paint cars anymore.
Now I have to find someone who paints cars in the Vic area, any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
We used Coachwerks for the 67 Camaro. They do vehicles besides high end Porsches and gull wing Mercedes. Excellent paint work.

Mark of Excellence up in Coombs. Next level, mostly muscle cars but he did the body and paint on my 240Z and it's unreal his attention to detail.

Dare to dream! I must admit that I do like GM products from the 50's, 60's and into the 70's

When I was first into the start of my love for the these vehicles, I got close to our used car manager (1979) and can't count the number of cars I bought and sold.....all of them were bone stock originals......most I ever paid was $400.00

Best find? was Chevy 55 two door post.....a buddy of mine and I would walk the alley's and in those days most were carports, or the odd garage...circa 1976.

The '55 was in primer, two small rust holes, someone before me added a 4 speed and a 350.....clutch and engine were "locked" up. Borrowed my Dad's F250 to get it out of the carport....clutch broke free and worked fine. Pulled the plugs and filled the cylinders and let it soak for a day or so, new battery, plugs, fresh oil and she fired up with a little coxing....

Being young and not too smart back then....got it running as a guy was walking buy and he asked me if I wanted to sell it! I paid $200.00 for it and he offered me $2,000.00 for it.......I jumped at the money......think about that one more than any others!

Thanks for bringing up memories!

When I got my collector plates for my Fiat Spider, I took the minimum 3rd party liability from ICBC and went with Hagerty for additional liability as well as collision and comprehensive. I was able to “declare” a value which was within the range Hagerty found acceptable without a formal appraisal. Their rates were very reasonable.
My boat is insured with them

Back