Your all time historic favotite spoon?

Kelly, is the the green/white spoon that you hate so much, but always run, the green/glowwhite, or just the plain green/white?
Lure-washer

It's a mix of both. For ECVI fishing deep i would likely prefer the glow.

This summer offshore and even inshore we used this Titan 6 inch spoon. In Gold-Blue / Green Mist (4th down) with some pilchard spots. Outfished plugs and pilchard pattern large coyotes 2-1. This was in august and i think was the spoon Jonny hit his 47 lber on.

http://www.okitackle.com/titanspoons_6.shtml

It's a mix of both. For ECVI fishing deep i would likely prefer the glow.

This summer offshore and even inshore we used this Titan 6 inch spoon. In Gold-Blue / Green Mist (4th down) with some pilchard spots. Outfished plugs and pilchard pattern large coyotes 2-1. This was in august and i think was the spoon Jonny hit his 47 lber on.

http://www.okitackle.com/titanspoons_6.shtml

Yeah, used the Titans before the No. 6 catches fish. I prefer the Tomics . Stronger and last longer with more colour choices.

Can anyone tell a younger guy something about a 5 1/2" Superdiamond, 4" Manistee and 5" Diamond Lance??? I was given a pile of free tackle and these were some of the spoons. They are all in the silver/brass colour. Obviously they are for salmon, but I'm wondering if certain ones are geared for springs, coho's etc. Sorry if these aren't "historic"... they look like they are in my tackle box. I know absolutely nothing about them.....

View attachment 2530

Those are outstanding products-now that they're nice 'n shiny throw some clear coat on them.

I've never actually used the larger Manistee but the smaller ones are killer Coho lures-the Super Diamond mimics Herring the Diamond Lance mimics Needlefish.

I'd use them deep or in off coloured water-also cutting the swivel off makes for more action and if you do clear coat them the paint and up gumming up the swivel usually.

Those hooks are great and if you keep them sharp and a tight line on the fish barbless isn't an issue.

Taking the swivels off is a personal choice-those spoons were designed for the commercial fishery where boats often travel faster but that doesn't mean they won't catch fish from a sport boat w/swivel intact-I just like more action from a spoon.

Found some pics of the titan in action. It was sh*& kicked by this point.

uvs111214-012.jpg

uvs111214-002.jpg

uvs111214-005.jpg

This is the coyote that looked killer but didnt perform that well

uvs111214-013.jpg

5.5 in half & half Wonder Spoon. The most productive days ever, both WCVI and West Coast Haida Gwaii. Regularly outfished bait, but mainly because you could release a fish and get the spoon back in the water quicker:eek:

Locally in Juan De Fuca - Would have to be green & glow Coyote.

CP

Can anyone tell a younger guy something about a 5 1/2" Superdiamond, 4" Manistee and 5" Diamond Lance???

Largely concur with Dogbreath on this one.

The "Super Diamond" is extremely similar to the Glendon Stewart of the same size and color. It has a time honored position amongst the WC trollers for a reason - when herring are around they WORK! As noted, best in somewhat darker or deep waters.

The Diamond Lances are indeed needlefish imitations, and they work well the entire length of the Island. Especially so in the early season when needlefish are the predominant bait. Drag them in the mud and Hang On!

That Manistee was designed to catch coho. I'd suggest waiting until late season when the overly large coho are around, and running it as a surface/just subsurface lure. We do that with Dazzlers (about the same size) with Deadly consequences each fall.

I know some Fellas like to clear coat their brass/copper/chrome spoons. I personally don't. With the products now available to us, keeping them super shiny has never been easier. And of course, coming from a commercial background, I leave the swivels up front as well. Each of us have varying preferences, and as long as that works for you, I wouldn't suggest messing with success! :D

As for myself, there is no real "favorite". Rather an arsenal that includes both commercial and sport spoons. All depends on what the predominant bait presence is, water conditions, time of year and depth as to what I will choose. Last few seasons the pilchard spoons have Really Rocked, so my kit is showing a tendency towards more of them than anything else.

Still working on developing a Killer Needlefish. Hope to have that up in time for testing this spring...

Cheers,
Nog

Heard a lot of good things about the P2B, especially in the Pearl Blue (500) colour. And the diamond lance spoons have produced very well. Looking forward to Iron Noggin's needlefish design! - What are your thoughts Nog on the Silver Horde Koho Killer?

I haven't used spoons a lot in recent years however, back in the day in Barkley Sound when I used to fish there a lot as a young fella with my Pa, there is no doubt our favourite was the Tom Mack Spoon. Sometimes half and half (brass silver) but mostly plain silver from 1 inch to 3 inch. You could fill your boat with fish everyday with these things.

For Coho on ECVI we used to use the Henry Smith spoon. It was a white plastic spoon with pink trim. DEADLY around Bowser, Deep Bay, Chrome Island.

Ditto on the Tom Mac...............

Rickity Rack another for "TOM MACK" !! tough to beat ........ another choice ........ the old STEWART SPOON. Love em both in Chrome and or 50/50

HT

The Silver horde spoons are still made in the USA and way better quality than Coyote.
Just bought a couple of my favourite winter spoons green/glo and glow cop car.
good hooks,welded rings and much stronger spoon.

Favorite spoons are green/chrome, blue chrome, cop car but the real trick is spoon size and time of year. It's hard to pick one, the fishes taste of the day changes month to month and year to year. Coyote spoons work great but the hooks are just junk. I change the hook out the day they it comes out of the package.

#6 chrome Clendon stewart..... Had never used one before but this spoon put on a show in Milbanke sound this summer..

Back