Yamaha HPDI's

It has a lot to do with the dealerships, in my neck of the woods. Untill a recent major dealer in my area took on Suzuki, it was the other way around, some of the guys with Suzuki's from smaller dealerships were having trouble, but when it came to Yamaha work, myself included, we were taken care of quite quickly by the guys who did it for me/us. I don't want to drop names, but some of the warranty work in question was done on camp return engines that were 3 years old (Yamaha offered a 1 year warranty only on them), no problem.

I now run Zukes from the same dealership, because they were near %30 cheapers. Hopefully warranty service will be the same. If it is some dealership that buys a few motors a year to stand up by the fising rod display, there will probably be issues getting quick work done. Get a big dealership going to bat for you, like Breakers, or SG, Parker or whomever, and the warranty work is usually quite quick.

I will say that by looking at the Suzuki's vs. the Yamaha's, they Suzuki's have cut severeal corners vs the YAmaha. As far as the ones I own are concearned, some examples are the bolts holding the leg on are painted/plated, not SS, same with the majority of the fastners on the powerhead. The castings are very rough, and the factory zincs are a lot smaller then the competition's engines of similar size.

But I don't think one can go wrong with any of the Jappanese 4 strokes in any case.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by salmon9

I have owned Merc, Johnston, Honda and Yamaha engines for commercial and recreational use and can't say any one of them was significantly better than another with regards to corrosion. The engines that showed less signs of corrosion were the ones I looked after better. I now try to keep a thin film of a lubricant over the engine block, bolts and electrical connections (e.g. Fluid Film). They all had their strengths and weaknesses and can't say one manufacturer's engine was considerably better than another. If you think about it engines are all made from similiar materials functioning in a harse corrosive environment so it's an ongoing battle fighting corrosion/oxidation.
Ha salmon, there are huge differences in different brands. Still lots of merc stack six O/B running around and still capable of being repaired. How many old carberated yamaha two strokes you see. Used to be tons. There not even close to the age of the stack six but don't come apart or are corroded from the inside out so they are F.U.B.A.R. It's all in the alloy's my friend. And all the oily film in the world won't help underneath the paint.
If materials are similar how come japanese stainless is magnetic and north american stainless isn't?

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

We had four 200 HDPI's go down this summer withblown poerheads and each engine had less than 500 hours on them. This represents a cost outlay of about $65K. Yamaha has refused to talk to us about this issue, What do you feel we should do? We feel the HPDI was a mechanically defective product and Yamaha was well aware that these engines were prone to fail within the first 500 hours. We feel these engines should have been good for at least 1500 to 2000 hours.Do you feel that we have sufficent grounds for a law suit?

Back