Yamaha F150 issues

Did your oil level change at all. Last year I got diesel in my fuel and the oil level climbed up pretty quick

The oil level remained constant. Thanks for the help by the way guys. I want to take her out for a fresh water run at Cultus and change the oils before putting her away for the season, so I do need to get her ironed out soon.

Last edited:
I had someone drop by so I managed to get him to turn over the motor while I grounded and checked the spark on the plugs. All 4 seemed consistent but weaker than I would expect to see. So...where does that leave me?

I have an actual Yamaha Service manual and from the igntion system trouble shooting;
check spark plugs (replaced)
check spark (done but appears weak across the the board)
check coils and leads (done)
check ECM output peak voltage (this seems to be all I have left, and I had been experiencing low voltage reading on my Garmin) I'm not sure if the two could be connected. I don't have the software and specialty tools to want to take this any further.
Anyone know a good Yamaha outboard tech preferably somewhere around Langley?

Really thinking this is the low voltage issue causing this. Maybe a bad ground or some bad wiring. The low voltage seemed to be acting up more in the last few times out while trolling on the 9.9 high thrust and still running lower than it should on the main. That being the case I'll see if I can get it figured out first. I'll load test the batteries as well but they were replaced 3 years ago. I'm not real keen on electrical so I'll do some basic troubleshooting but may be looking for someone to take on some rewiring. Any suggestions? I know I've seen the one guy in Nanaimo recommended a few times anybody on this side of the water?

try checking the harness connection at the motor and make sure it's not green and corroded, make sure the motor itself is charging, where do you get your fuel, I've seen the filter is the vst plug and and limit rpm and power

What's leading me to think this is an electrical issue, not motor issue is;

- the time out before the main started acting up, a buddy was at the controls while trolling on the kicker. The GPS went dim and then flickered off. It flickered back on and I looked at the voltage display on it and it was showing as low as 10.8 v. I had the nav lights on so I killed them and it came up to 11.2v. What do you guys see on a 9.9 high thrust trolling with a TR1, Stereo, Downriggers and Espar Heater? I fired up the main while the kicker was running and the voltage only read 12.4v. Should that not be up a little over 13v?

-washdown pump quit working a couple of days previously. I have not looked at it yet and I don't know if there's any connection.

-when I first got it home, while working on it before putting it on the charger, the secondary bilge pump was cycling on and off. I never heard it do that before. So I pulled the fuse for now. I've charged the boat since but have not replaced the fuse as of yet as I have not done much on the boat since putting it away. Other than get it on the charger and then test the spark.

I have had no hard starting issues and it always turned over as normal. I always have the battery switches off when not running. So am I right assuming this is likely an electrical issue with the boat itself and the motor issue is a symtom of that?

If it is an electrical issue, some of the easiest things you can do are. Remove all the connections at your battery, clean the connections so they are bright, and when reinstalling them, use a little dilectric grease. If you are still using the wing nuts that came with the battery, replace them with stainless lock nuts. Trace your main leads from the battery to the engines and remove, clean and reattach. The leads from your voltage regulator will join into your main lead at some point do the same there. Take the connection off your battery switch and clean the connections there as well. Do all of this work with the battery (ies) disconnected to avoid the possibility of sparks or worse.

I will check and clean all connections. It's been kept up pretty well and some of the wiring and grounds cleaned up around the batteries and such 2 years ago. I won't rule out a possible issue in those areas so I will go through it. But visually it looks good. I had some access hatches added around the batteries as things were not nice to get too. Now I can see what I'm doing and I don't need to be a contortionist.

I was never impressed by the wiring job that either the dealership or North River did on this boat. I've cleaned up and had wiring cleaned up thaf should never have hit the market. Probably should have had it ripped out and redone and may still do that.Tney did not even have the tach on the right poll setting, which had the original owners and me trying to prop the boat to an incorrect rpm reading. I think it's probably the dealer doing the outfitting. I happened to talk to them about something else and was not impressed. Not dissing anyone local the boat is from California.

Last edited:
I will check and clean all connections. It's been kept up pretty well and some of the wiring and grounds cleaned up around the batteries and such 2 years ago. I won't rule out a possible issue in those areas so I will go through it. But visually it looks good. I had some access hatches added around the batteries as things were not nice to get too. Now I can see what I'm doing and I don't need to be a contortionist.

I was never impressed by the wiring job that either the dealership or North River did on this boat. I've cleaned up and had wiring cleaned up thaf should never have hit the market. Probably should have had it ripped out and redone and may still do that.Tney did not even have the tach on the right poll setting, which had the original owners and me trying to prop the boat to an incorrect rpm reading. I think it's probably the dealer doing the outfitting. I happened to talk to them about something else and was not impressed. Not dissing anyone local the boat is from California.
I rewired my whole boat its amazing some of the half assed things you will find.... I ended up by pulling every single wire out and started from scratch was easy and the peace of mind is priceless and now know what every single wire terminal etc does and runs. hope you get to the bottom of your issue good luck

I rewired my whole boat its amazing some of the half assed things you will find.... I ended up by pulling every single wire out and started from scratch was easy and the peace of mind is priceless and now know what every single wire terminal etc does and runs. hope you get to the bottom of your issue good luck

Thanks! So far a lot has been fixed up but doing it right from scratch is likely the only way to find it all.

You will wonder why you did add an ACR sooner!
You never have to worry about house draw draining your starting battery again, but you still will need to figure out if your low batterys were from a lack of output from the motor.

Output from both motors are fine. Spark was weak while cranking but the motor ran fine running on the ears. I think the switch was limiting voltage to the engine and vice verses charging . Noluck dropped by and we tested the switch. Need to get it out on the water but I think we might have it.

Last edited:
You will wonder why you did add an ACR sooner!
You never have to worry about house draw draining your starting battery again, but you still will need to figure out if your low batterys were from a lack of output from the motor.
there was a big voltage drop on the switch, between the charge terminal and the battery terminals, both engines charged over 14.1

Wow something that simple made you jump through all the hoops. At least it's a pretty Cheap repair compared to others but a lot of time and maybe money spent to solve the problem

I put it away for a bit but needed to get it on the ears with a full charge. That made all the difference. Oh well, very little actual dollars spent and not much actual time. Too damp out there, lol. Fixing and upgrading the charging system is something that had to be done. Bones had it right on checking the spark though. I just needed to pull the plugs with someone around to turn the boat over. The boat was away and it took me a bit to get to that. Thanks for the help guys.

Glad it working better. Thought the voltage issue was deeper but glad it is just battery wiring. Adding a relay is what I need on my boat as well.

Back