XD 100 pricing ?!

I know that West Marine used to sell a lower cost direct injection 2 stroke oil specially formulated for direct injection motors like Opti and E-Tec. But as they have now left Canada it would be more difficult to access it, assuming they still carry it given that both Opti and E-Tec are no longer made.

As I understand it, the direct injection Merc 2 stroke oil for my Opti has special and additional cleaners and lubrication additives, and the cleaners are particularly important for long term problem reduced motor operation. Usually someone will pipe in that it is all marketing hype and other oils are the same and will be just fine, but I am sticking with the good stuff for my 20 year old 225 Opti given the cost of a new 225.

In your situation, I would be wondering if Merc Opti direct injection oil would be a good substitute and equivalent or even superior to the XD 100 direct injection oil. If it is, you may find Opti oil easier to find and cheaper. I once considered seeing if I could find a few guys with Opti motors to go in on buying a 50 gal drum of Opti oil and splitting it up, but that never went anywhere. Even so, I have got better pricing from some Merc dealers over the last few years by offering to buy 50 litres (5 ten liter jugs) at a time in the 10 to 12 dollar a litre range. It also pays to watch the local sales forums and I managed to recently purchase 3 four litre jugs of Opti oil off of a SFBC forum member for $100 after he sold his boat and motor. You may want to place a few ads and see if you can get some XD100 oil off someone who may still have it after replacing their E-Tec with a 4 stroke.

I don't know if they carry XD 100, but Cabelas carries Merc Opti Oil at a good price and sometimes put it on sale. Apparently at one time, a lot of big light weight direct injection 2 strokes were put on bass boats.

Last edited:

You are right, the XD100 prices are outrageous.

Just wondering....is this an equivalent product? Made for ETEC sleds and packaged/sold by the same parent company

Just wondering....is this an equivalent product? Made for ETEC sleds and packaged/sold by the same parent company

No it is not same. 2T is formulated for sleds, which have closed circuit glycol cooking and so run at much more stable temps than raw water cooled outboards.

How do you find out what oil your engine is set for? I just bought a G1 200 Ho with 50 hrs on it and want to make sure I use the right oil.
my understanding from my mechanic is if you run xd100 you'll be covered for both. only way to find out that i know of is to have it scanned by a tech. didn't the previous owner know?

my understanding from my mechanic is if you run xd100 you'll be covered for both. only way to find out that i know of is to have it scanned by a tech. didn't the previous owner know?
This is true. Having the EMM set to XD100 setting means less oil is used. If using other oil, changing the EMM to the TCW3 setting ensures more oil is delivered to compensate for lower lubricating capabilities.

It is generally recommended for higher hour motors to run XD100 but keep the setting at TCW3.

Simple to plug into the software and check status, and toggle the setting from XD100 to TCW3 or vice versa. With a factory shop manual and the EVDiag software, these are straightforward motors to work on.

Back