WTB (or borrow) Yamaha 15 pitch prop

Tips Up

New Yamaha 115 came with 17 pitch prop.
I’d like to try 15 to see how boat handles. Hoping to lower rpm at cruise speed and get up a bit quicker.
Anyone have one in good shape they want to part with?

You won't lower rpms with smaller pitch...increases. It like dropping down a gear in a car. You are taking a 15 inch bite of water instead of 17...easier on the engine so rpms go up.

I know very little about props. I just bought a new 115 Mercury. They did a water test with a 17P prop and decided a 19P was a better prop for that motor on my boat. WOT for me is 6300 RPM

What kind of boat is it and what is your main purpose with the boat?

17ft double eagle. 115 and 9.9 Yamaha’s. 100 Lt tank in the stern.
WOT 6200 about 42 mph
Cruises 25 mph at 4400. 30 at 4800.
Figured this boat would do 30 mph at around 4400.
Mostly a fishing boat with a couple days a year of pulling kids on a tube.

Happy with how it is but wondering how other props would feel.

4 blade will give you some stern lift and lower planing speed. Reduce the top end. Who wants to go that fast anyway? 4 blade 17

3 blade 19 will stick you in the lower rpm range for cruising. Which will gain some fuel economy. Can try a large 3 blade 19. Will stick better.

Go stainless

Your top end seems bang on for performance for that package....very similar to my 17 DE with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke back in the day....it had a 17 inch on it. The 2 stroke topped out at 5500 rpms but 41-42 mph was the same top end. Try a 19 inch if you want mid range performance with lower rpms and a few more mph. Just know the engine will be working harder so your fuel economy may well not improve or suffer a bit.

4 blade will give you some stern lift and lower planing speed. Reduce the top end. Who wants to go that fast anyway? 4 blade 17

3 blade 19 will stick you in the lower rpm range for cruising. Which will gain some fuel economy. Can try a large 3 blade 19. Will stick better.

Go stainless
This is where I’m starting with mine. Same boat and motors

For those looking for a 17" 4 blade SS, I've got one for sale on this forum.
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/solas-rubex-hr4-17”-pitch-stainless-4-blade-prop.85282/

I've only run 4 blade props and can tell you these ones are fast without a noticeable drop in MPH. 48mph at 5800 WOT in the Fraser.

Don't want to hijack this thread, so enough about me. Thanks!

Last edited:
For those looking for a 17" 4 blade SS, I've got one for sale on this forum.
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/solas-rubex-hr4-17”-pitch-stainless-4-blade-prop.85282/

I've only run 4 blade props and can tell you these ones are fast without a noticeable drop in MPH. 48mph at 5800 WOT in the Fraser.

Don't want to hijack this thread, so enough about me. Tha

Go stainless
Yes this is what I am looking for. Lower rpm at cruise for better economy. Anything over 35mph in this boat is too fast for me.

Back