WTB Holley 4 Barrel Carb

I guarantee it will be LOTS better....

Seeing as I had the intake off, I decided to redo my leaking riser gasket. They are a pain in the a$$ to tighten up with the cooling system fill tank and the carb in the way.Just wondering what you guys do with your riser gaskets? I was using the liquid gasket sealer tar stuff with the brush(think it's Mr. gasket) and today got some copper high temp silicone stuff when I picked up the gaskets. I see they say no sealer should be used. Do you guys use sealer or just the gaskets and no sealer? I don't want these risers to leak again, as I think this may have been part of the problem I was having.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked this up once on i boats seems the good gasket is made of metal. In regards to the carb we have it seems like there is more to why he wants to change it out. Gas sheen behind boat. and gas smell. Cant sell it like thAt. Thanks

oh I see you have one nevermind

NO sealer as it plugs the water jackets.but im sure someone on here will say do other wise I asked my (trained mechanic) that before and it was NOOOOO.
so ill leave it as do what ever you want..

One thing make sure they are flat and true and not a of of pitting and corrosion if there is no metal left time for new ones, there only good for about 5 to 7 years anything past that your really taking a chance. what happens next hard starting and water fills into a cylinder.
I KNOW happened to me last year got to it after about a week, I had to take the engine out the winter because had a rear main go so while it was apart had my buddy go over it to make a long story short new rings,bearings,oil pump, and 4 valves. all from a leaky manifold getting in the pistons.
I didnt need to go to all that but im fussy and want it to last, this is a warning of WHAT can happen.

Call me if you want me to come by and look don't want anyone else go thru this if preventable

Good luck Wolf

Wolf

Never use sealer on riser gaskets, they will leak. If they are leaking on the outside they are usually leaking on the inside. Buy the gaskets they are cheap. I would take a flat file and wipe against the mating surfaces, not back and forth like you normally file but almost pushing it across, always keeping it flat against the surface. If you not sure take the risers and manifolds to a machine shop and have them hot tanked and they will machine the surfaces.
But remember, just gaskets,no glue no rtv sealant, just gaskets.

I think the method your talking about is draw filing and yes forgot to mention that i tried the machine shop thing and it didn't work cheaper in the long run to buy OSCO aftermarket ones

I believe you are right Roy, I think salmonkiller01 is referring to draw filing. When I bought the boat I was told the manifolds were new, but I had a few other issues with the boat that I was told that were done and they were not. The manifold looked to be leaking from the heads to manifold, so I thought I would take the manifolds off and inspect them. Turned out they were leaking at the heads, but they were not that bad and I took them in and had them hot tanked and machined flat. I did put sealer on the riser gaskets when I replaced them, so this time I will go as you guys say and skip the sealer and hope they don't leak. Didn't get to it today, had to do some paying work today so will get at it tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

how old are they now? if there past 5 years old id chuck em after what i learned last year i personally wouldn't take the chance if they are leaking now a new gasket isnt going to help. not worth blowing an engine up me thinks

Don't know how old they are but the guys at the machine shop said there was plenty of meat left on them. The boat is a trailer queen and is flushed after every use. That being said is 5 years the life span or could I get a couple more out of them?

Do what you want its the corrosion which is the issue the "hidden" things and corrosion you cant see they simply are cast iron pieces of you know what and wear out nothing you can do is going to stop it, if they can machine em and be ok well go for it but id personally spend the money towards new ones but im fussy

Back