WTB: Bow Fuel Tank

m_ritch

Hey everyone, I just picked up a 17’ double eagle. Has a hull extension off the back and is riding fairly stern heavy. There is a fuel fill cap at the bow so I imagine the original tank used to be up on the bow. Currently have a 50L portable. Would like to get a decent size tank up front 100L ish. Let me know if you have anything available, I’m located in Port Alberni will travel or get a friend on the mainland to pick up for me.

Thanks

Hey everyone, I just picked up a 17’ double eagle. Has a hull extension off the back and is riding fairly stern heavy. There is a fuel fill cap at the bow so I imagine the original tank used to be up on the bow. Currently have a 50L portable. Would like to get a decent size tank up front 100L ish. Let me know if you have anything available, I’m located in Port Alberni will travel or get a friend on the mainland to pick up for me.

Thanks
If by hull extension off the back is a POD or something similar. It should add floatation not provide less. I'd be removing any inspection caps and making sure there is no water in there. Could be way off just the first thing that comes to mind when a boat is stern heave. Also someone just posted some fuel tanks for sale on here not to long ago, just scroll back...good luck.

Guy on castanet advertises aluminum fuel tanks sometimes. He’s a marine wrecker in Winfield. Just a few minutes north of Kelowna. He has a yard full of parts/motors/trailers etc etc etc. Seriously a lot of stuff. Mostly older but some newer and everything from inboard to outboards and all kinds of boat stuff. Kind of like a yard sale/flea market wrecking yard. I don’t go often but when I do he nearly always has what I’m looking for. My experience is he’s mostly alright but can be a little grumpy depending on how many beers he’s already had. Just kidding lol I dont know if he drinks beer but he can be grumpy so go early lol. Here’s his contact info:89824F85-E730-4D52-A679-138BB3E9834C.jpeg

What I would concentrate on if it’s stern heavy is mass that does not change. Unfortunately as you lose fuel from your trip your ride will slowly get worse... If you get caught in a bad weather situation. Your more then likely going to be lower on fuel that could create a bad situation.. So try and move batteries and anything of weight up front that the weight won’t change. If you have to use some ballast like sand bags up front you can try that. With weight that changes during the trip try and keep it in the middle of the boat if possible.. I know that can be a challenge in a 17. Also your extension/pod may of been designed for a lighter motor. If that’s the case you may have to go to a professional pod builder to see if the problem can be fixed or go with a lighter outboard.. unfortunately with small boats they are super weight sensitive. The 17 didn’t come from factory with the pod so that can greatly effect the ride and performance of your boat. Just like anything some times mods don’t work.

If by hull extension off the back is a POD or something similar. It should add floatation not provide less. I'd be removing any inspection caps and making sure there is no water in there. Could be way off just the first thing that comes to mind when a boat is stern heave. Also someone just posted some fuel tanks for sale on here not to long ago, just scroll back...good luck.
Thanks for all the comments guys. I’ve definitely looked into all above options. I will call the card which was passed on. Appreciate that. There is only one access hatch to the pod which has no water in it. I have moved the majority of my weight (anchor, chain, extra cannonballs) to the bow and may add some sandbags. I have added an extra 50L tank I had already so now have 100L up infront of the driver seat. I’ll take it for a run configured like this and see how it does. I don’t want to invest a lot of money into the hull as I would eventually like to swap my power, a 2015 140 Suzuki & 9.9 kicker over to a slightly bigger boat 20’ preferable welded aluminum. I also saw the bot tank posted last week unfortunately to late as it’s sold.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I’ve definitely looked into all above options. I will call the card which was passed on. Appreciate that. There is only one access hatch to the pod which has no water in it. I have moved the majority of my weight (anchor, chain, extra cannonballs) to the bow and may add some sandbags. I have added an extra 50L tank I had already so now have 100L up infront of the driver seat. I’ll take it for a run configured like this and see how it does. I don’t want to invest a lot of money into the hull as I would eventually like to swap my power, a 2015 140 Suzuki & 9.9 kicker over to a slightly bigger boat 20’ preferable welded aluminum. I also saw the bot tank posted last week unfortunately to late as it’s sold.
id say the 140 main power is your issue thats alot of weight more then the ideal 90-115hp range... im going to say thats the major part of the issue right there. If you swapped it out for a 115 I bet it would sit alot more level and ride nicer without all that extra weight in the bow.

I think you'll find this helps immensely. I have 17.2 Hourston that was porpoising a bit. It has the fuel tank centre aft and I had the batteries back there. Looked into trim tabs (expensive and not a lot of room) and purchased one of those hydroplanes. Didn't work. Stopped by local tire shop and picked up a few free old tire tubes. Filled with sand on way home. Weighed them on a scale and wrote on them what they were. Tucked about 100lbs up forward evenly. I could tell before we left the dock that it fixed the problem just by the way it was sitting in the water. I rides great now and is not bow heave whatsoever, rides into waves nicely and stops properly. Best move I've done on my boat.

Back