World's Best Tasting Fish.....

halibut fishing??

piceral for freshwater, Saltwater i would have to say my very own teriyaki n garlic smothered sockeye steaks on the BBQ!, would love to hear from you a fav way to cook Halibut steaks! All my life on the coast and i have never caught one of them flat bastards so would gladly pay the fuel/coldbeer bill for anyone who could take me hali fishing!

Last edited by a moderator:
The incredible flavor and texture of Pacific Yelloweye is tops for me.

Had a fillet of halibut and yelloweye on my plate last night and both the wife and I agreed yelloweye by a country mile.

I'm also a fan of white spring. I keep it simple by coating with oyster sauce and grilling it. I find it moist and delicious.

I don't like smoking them though. I find they take too long to dry out to the consistency I prefer. Perhaps due to the extra oiliness?

I'll have to give it another try, In the back of my mind I keep thinking salmon should be red.
It's oilier I think, how do your prepare it ?

It is indeed very oily, full of healthy omega 3 oils. I usually BBQ it slowly (to not burn it) with a nice marinade of sundried tomatoes, capers, green onions, garlic, lemon juice, parsley and a splash of white wine. Everytime I serve it people go nuts over it.

there can be big differences in halibut fillets can be tough sometimes; if frying halibut its best to cut into steaks like you would for salmon; far better than frying fillets

Kokanee (landlocked sockeye) from a cool water lake, followed closely by halibut cheeks fot taste and texture.

Fish should not be subjected to marinades or other embilishments beyond being cooked in a bit of butter with a dash of salt and pepper if desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top 3 freshwater

1. Pickerel
2. Speckle Trout (on a cast iron skillet over a campfire lightly breaded with salt pepper and a squeeze of lemon)
3. Pickerel

Top3 Saltwater

1. Halibut (versatility)
2. Tuna
3. Winter Spring
(honorable mention) ling cod, sea bass, swordfish, mahi mahi,

It is indeed very oily, full of healthy omega 3 oils. I usually BBQ it slowly (to not burn it) with a nice marinade of sundried tomatoes, capers, green onions, garlic, lemon juice, parsley and a splash of white wine. Everytime I serve it people go nuts over it.
Anything would taste good in that marinade...even a shoe :)

Back