World Juniors 2024

sly_karma

Crew Member
Typical first tournament game for Canada, I thought. Looked a bit disjointed as the coaches play with lines and roles, but plenty of strong contributions. The Finns won't win any big games with that PP doctrine, far too static. They had penalties to work with but no juice.

Americans will win this year. hope i’m wrong though. The swedes have three Canuck prospects in Lekkerimaki, Willander, and Elias Pettersson the d man

Watching the Swedes this afternoon with interest in the Canucks prospect’s. My take so far is Pettersson LD is a big boy who can skate and at 6’4 200lbs reminds me a lot of Edler. Top end prospect in my opinion who today is playing in all situations.
Willander RD another big boy who can skate and as a rookie holding his own In his first tournament.
As for Lekkermaki he comes as advertised, great shot but unsure of his pro potential. Isn’t on the #1 PP which could be a telling story but again he sniped in the 4th goal on the PP.

Lekkermaki is on the first PP and is on the top line. IF he could hit the net, he might have got a few more goals.

Canada still looks like it is getting used to the bigger ice. The next two games will see how they learn to use the bigger ice and maybe settle their lines down.

Looking forward to watching every game. We went to the WJ2020 in Czech Republic and to see it live was amazing! And to watch them win gold was the icing on the cake to one of the best trips we have ever been on!

Looking into Finland 2027.

Cheers

SS

Today's Canada-Germany game takes on new significance now that the Finns beat the Swedes earlier today. We could have a 3 way tie for Group A 1st place, GF/GA decides. And the Germans will be no pushover either.

NHL should take notes
They should also follow the IIHF and skip the national anthems before the match. Having the winner's anthem played post game is a nice reward. Plus we are spared the endless procession of local singers who think they'll make their mark by belting out "their interpretation of a treasured classic".

I personally don't think this Canadian team has what it takes to win Gold. I hope I am proven wrong.
Yeah they have loads of speed and skill but only rarely do they gather the poise amd and presence needed. Seem hurried all the time.

Back