Winter Harbour Questions?

beak

Wondering what the driving time from Campbell River to Coal Harbour is roughly pulling a 24ft boat.Also the ramp and road conditions into Coal ( pavement, all tides ramp , parking? ). Haven't heard any fishing reports from up there lately would be appreciated.

IMG_0330.jpg

quote:Originally posted by beak

Wondering what the driving time from Campbell River to Coal Harbour is roughly pulling a 24ft boat.Also the ramp and road conditions into Coal ( pavement, all tides ramp , parking? ). Haven't heard any fishing reports from up there lately would be appreciated.

Roughly 247km, between 4/5 hours depending on how fast you drive. Road conditions are usually good. It is not an "all tides" ramp, but you shouldn't have any problems with any help from the tides. Parking not a problem... just make sure you have a locking gas cap! I haven't had any problems, but know of others that have.

Beak

Are you staying at Winter Harbour??

If so, forget Coal harbour and launch at Port Alice. The Launch at Coat Harbour sucks unless it is at high tide, cost $8 to launch and $10/day to park, you usually have to park your trailer in one place, truck in the other and if you do not have a locking gas cap, you WILL come back to less fuel then when you got there. Port Alice is free, a pretty good ramp, free parking and has wharf facilities. I have never had a problem there. The road to Port Alice is a bit windy and has a couple of hills, but if you can get to the Port Alice turn off from Campbell River, you can do the Port Alice Drive. The distance to Winter Harbour is the same from either launch, about 30 miles.

Give yourself 3-3.5 hours from Campbell River and you will make it no problem.

The fishing has been good, but I have been fishing the inside more as the new 77 cm chinook size limit means that if I cannot get outside due to weather, we can only keep one spring each and a couple of coho's. It is a long way to run for 6 fish. However if the weather is good and you can get out on the highway, then it makes it worth while. It the weather holds for the weekend, we might go out here on Saturday. I can post a report if I get out there.

If you need any more info, fire me a note and I will help as much as I can.

Cheers

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Yup launch from port alice, sign says no over night parking but they dont care i spoke to the yatch club manger and they alow the parking

Beak

Here it is. The Cliffe Pt closure is actually one more point out than is shown on the map.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area27_e.htm

Like I said before, you will need good weather to get on the outside. Your boat will be more comfortable than mine (18') so you will have better luck than I will if it blows up a bit, but it is BIG water, so keep an eye on the horizon and the listen to the weather reports. It usually blows up in the early afternoon.

Cheers

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Thanks Sitka i'll be keepin an eye out for ya we'll be in a 24ft Harbercraft Kingfisher hope to see ya there.

IMG_0330.jpg

My Dad will be out on the West side possibly...depends on where the best fishing is...whether it is Winter Harbour or out of Hardy. He'd be ina 22ft Campion explorer. Ms Heather II...he also monitors 68. I'll be in Hardy all summer as the Ms heather III isn't exactly the easiest towing boat.

O well...getting another Pursuit next year by the sounds of it to add to the fleet.... :D 26fter so it will be towable as well.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Back