Winter Fishery

otter

I dont quite understand why the Sooke Bluffs are the Winter Spring hangout during the winter when the summer season the Trap Shack, Otter Point etc are the locales. Baitfish I will hear replies for, but dont the bait migrate? Excuse my ignorance re this topic but I am still tring to figure out this particular fishery out here. Ive been in Sooke for 4 years now and find the winter fishing to be very fickle, in regards to locating feed on the sounder and subsequently Springs.
Thanks for any info.

Edited by - otter on 02/27/2004 16:41:54

PS, I am new to this forum. I have glanced at it periodically and found it to be relevant to my own fishing concerns and area. The subscribers appear to be very knowledgable and helpfull, not to mention curteous.
Thanks again. Otter.

Edited by - otter on 02/27/2004 16:42:32

PS, I am new to this forum. I have glanced at it periodically and found it to be relevant to my own fishing concerns and area. The subscribers appear to be very knowledgable and helpfull, not to mention curteous.
Thanks again. Otter.

Edited by - otter on 02/27/2004 16:42:32

Well to answer your questions the feed you see out there in the winter time is small herring and needle fish. 30 to 40 years ago there used to be a fantastic herring run that used to go up into the sooke basin it isnt as big anymore(over fished and crabing pulling up eel grass didnt help) there still is a small one that still spawn in there thats what you are seeing on the bluffs its there holding area. to answer your question the bait is there all year so are the salmon i catch lots of summer springs from possesion to the bluffs many a time and mostly by myself mid august on you will have the springs that go up the sooke river "ranging"off of the mouth of the basin thats why its closed to fishing from possesion to I think muir pt sorry cant remember I just know when and where NOT to fish. Those big spring follow all the way down along the shoreline we as fisherman though dont like change we pound the trapshack reef and otter pt tight picking them off as they hit those pts but you always here of guys catching big springs out farther while there looking for coho or socks or pinks.Trust me there hanging off those kelp beds off the bluffs we just like to go where the other people are fishing. Safety in numbers I suppose LOL LOL. hope that helps you Wolf

Well to answer your questions the feed you see out there in the winter time is small herring and needle fish. 30 to 40 years ago there used to be a fantastic herring run that used to go up into the sooke basin it isnt as big anymore(over fished and crabing pulling up eel grass didnt help) there still is a small one that still spawn in there thats what you are seeing on the bluffs its there holding area. to answer your question the bait is there all year so are the salmon i catch lots of summer springs from possesion to the bluffs many a time and mostly by myself mid august on you will have the springs that go up the sooke river "ranging"off of the mouth of the basin thats why its closed to fishing from possesion to I think muir pt sorry cant remember I just know when and where NOT to fish. Those big spring follow all the way down along the shoreline we as fisherman though dont like change we pound the trapshack reef and otter pt tight picking them off as they hit those pts but you always here of guys catching big springs out farther while there looking for coho or socks or pinks.Trust me there hanging off those kelp beds off the bluffs we just like to go where the other people are fishing. Safety in numbers I suppose LOL LOL. hope that helps you Wolf

Speaking of winter fishing i was off of whirl bay today pretty good numbers of fish also heard the bluff were good too hopefully for the derby tommorow they will stick around.

Speaking of winter fishing i was off of whirl bay today pretty good numbers of fish also heard the bluff were good too hopefully for the derby tommorow they will stick around.

The bait moves so do the springs, find the bait and you usually find the springs!. In the summer you can find fish from Sheringham to the Race close to shore so it really doesn't matter where you fish, its just everybody has there favorite spot be it the trap,otter or the head. In the winter thats where some of the winter springs hang out so don't knock it, just do what the locals do fish it. Maybe Wolfe knows why its such a good spot in the winter!!

The bait moves so do the springs, find the bait and you usually find the springs!. In the summer you can find fish from Sheringham to the Race close to shore so it really doesn't matter where you fish, its just everybody has there favorite spot be it the trap,otter or the head. In the winter thats where some of the winter springs hang out so don't knock it, just do what the locals do fish it. Maybe Wolfe knows why its such a good spot in the winter!!

Thanks for your responses/answers. I was out to the Bluffs/Trailer park on Thursday. Nothing on the finder. Couple of boats searching also, saw 1 blueback caught . Very slow.

B Gibb

Thanks for your responses/answers. I was out to the Bluffs/Trailer park on Thursday. Nothing on the finder. Couple of boats searching also, saw 1 blueback caught . Very slow.

B Gibb

Hello fins-n-skins my buddy and i got 6 th place i won a hand held vhf for a nice 12.7 lb spring the derby winner was a 17 caught off of constance the same boat took second place also. didnt get my fish till almost the end of the derby off of fraser island.

Hello fins-n-skins my buddy and i got 6 th place i won a hand held vhf for a nice 12.7 lb spring the derby winner was a 17 caught off of constance the same boat took second place also. didnt get my fish till almost the end of the derby off of fraser island.

Back