Will it work or will it kill me?

InterMechanico

I have a 1987 Hourston 18.5 hard top/bulkhead boat. It is a commercial hull, and It has a volvo aq211a sterndrive (215hp) at present. I would like to pod it, and I have a low hour yamaha F250 outboard. The weight of the outboard is 608 lbs or so. I'm not a reckless operator, but I also try not yo make stupid decisions where they can be avoided. If going new, I would probably first consider a 150hp fourstroke merc.

I have a 1987 Hourston 18.5 hard top/bulkhead boat. It is a commercial hull, and It has a volvo aq211a sterndrive (215hp) at present. I would like to pod it, and I have a low hour yamaha F250 outboard. The weight of the outboard is 608 lbs or so. I'm not a reckless operator, but I also try not yo make stupid decisions where they can be avoided. If going new, I would probably first consider a 150hp fourstroke merc.
I have seen a 200hp on that hull (not podded) and it went like a scalded cat. Seemed pretty jittery to me.

It will currently do about 45 mph at WOT with the AQ211A. I could probably have the ecm detuned to 200hp or so, but maybe why bother...
Maybe not such a great idea, but fun to imagine

Way over powered. Had a 275 Verado on my 20 hourston and never saw wot. Put a 200 on it is perfect. I would say 150-175 max. They are Light narrow hills

It will be over powered but not brutally and the weight can be compensated for with a large flotation pod. if you already have the motor and know the history I say run it and enjoy cruising at 3500rpm doing 30+mph getting 4+mpg. I have an 18’ with 150 4000rpm is 23knts give or take.

It will be over powered but not brutally and the weight can be compensated for with a large flotation pod. if you already have the motor and know the history I say run it and enjoy cruising at 3500rpm doing 30+mph getting 4+mpg. I have an 18’ with 150 4000rpm is 23knts give or take.
Turn that 19 footer into a 23

any idea how much the boat it self weighs with the volvo in it?

Back