Wild Salmon Rally Victoria Yesterday

chris73

Having just read the TC article about yesterday's event I just want to reflect on a few things here for you all. And Last Chance may forgive that I post this here but I thought since everyone else don't seem to bother anymore that we have different forums for different topics I will dare to cross the line this time too.

First of all the Times Colonist report was nowhere near on target. Very poor journalism. Having organized mass events myself and having been to numerous big events I can conservatively tell that the rally was attended by around 5,000 people. Government St was packed from Centennial Sq to the Parliament with several hundreds already waiting there. Biggest gathering ever for Wild Salmon issues. While that's pretty good I am very disappointed that only so few of you here did not find this topic important enough to make room on your personal schedule. I know quite a number of you here on SFBC in person and have seen only a few out there yesterday. I don't even want to know what was more important to you yesterday so you couldn't attend but I must say that this fact paints a grim picture of your priorities. If you feel that a day in the halibut derby or grandma's BBQ was more important than the fact that our wild salmon are in crisis and need our very attention then I am starting to lose faith in all of you! Again, you rely on a few to represent you and somehow make the miraculous change for the better for you too. Seems you don't get how democracy works and that it's up to ALL of us to demand change before anything will happen. I know that most of you here are generally concerned about the future of our wild salmon but you'd leave it rather to a few to figure out how to save them - rather than making some time in your busy lifes to do your part too. I will tell you again - this attitude and this complacency will have one inevitable result: our government will carry on as before and our BC rivers will look like the Cowichan already in a few years and like the european rivers a few more years later - salmon gone! This rally was way more than just a call against net pen fish farms - it was a wake up call to both our government levels to start taking wild salmon seriously and to show them that WE CARE! Obviously a good number of you DON'T CARE, judging by your non-attentance! You all can scream very loudly (I have heard it at several SFAB meetings when DFO had new bad news for your fishing season) when it affects you personally but you are unwilling to fight the general fight that needs to be won. Wake up people, that's not gonna work like that!

The natives, who you so often blame for a lot, were out in full force yesterday and they showed that they care! Maybe they DO care a lot more than YOU for salmon!? And maybe therefore they DO deserve a way bigger chunk of the pie and maybe - that's what I am starting to think now - maybe they do deserve the control over the resource!? At least they don't think that a minor business trip up island was more important yesterday that sending a strong message to Ottawa and our provincial government. Think about that next time you blow off when you hear natives netting the rivers while you are closed by DFO. Maybe you just don't deserve better in return for your complacency. Wake up or learn how to golf!

Finished but not sorry for my rant!

I completely understand Chris's disappointment; I was there too.

The energy of the moment was spectacular and yes, incredibly uplifting. Imagine what it would have been like with another thousand or so of us Sporties' out there.

Although I know there are lots of sportfishermen out there who are active conservationists as well, there are way more who squawk & ***** and then do - SFA!

Until this trend changes, the fish-farmers are the least worry for Pacific salmon.

I thank the 'Almighty' for our FN brothers & sisters'... they are not only currently leading the charge, they also could be the last feint-hope for our Great Fishes!

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

I completely understand Chris's disappointment; I was there too.

The energy of the moment was spectacular and yes, incredibly uplifting. Imagine what it would have been like with another thousand or so of us Sporties' out there.

Although I know there are lots of sportfishermen out there who are active conservationists as well, there are way more who squawk & ***** and then do - SFA!

Until this trend changes, the fish-farmers are the least worry for Pacific salmon.

I thank the 'Almighty' for our FN brothers & sisters'... they are not only currently leading the charge, they also could be the last feint-hope for our Great Fishes!

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

WOW Chris bad morning or what?? AS and avid fisherman/outdoorsman ill speak for me personally part of what I do for a living to support me is from the ocean and of all people you should know if I was able to make this even I DEFINATLLY</u> would have but I have to work to pay my bills and to support myself and my parents.I booked these days about 3 months in advance would you want me not to work????

Sorry but thats my way of life please dont hate us all but dont paint us all with the same brush.I feel your pain as along with alot of others AS this whole thing is a complete mess by the government. Its one dissapointment after another the more I get involved with DFO as they really dont care about this thing as I sure you realize by now!!!!

It seems like an uphill battle but one we should maybe win one day (lets hope)

Hey Ive always told you id support you keep up the good work.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

WOW Chris bad morning or what?? AS and avid fisherman/outdoorsman ill speak for me personally part of what I do for a living to support me is from the ocean and of all people you should know if I was able to make this even I DEFINATLLY</u> would have but I have to work to pay my bills and to support myself and my parents.I booked these days about 3 months in advance would you want me not to work????

Sorry but thats my way of life please dont hate us all but dont paint us all with the same brush.I feel your pain as along with alot of others AS this whole thing is a complete mess by the government. Its one dissapointment after another the more I get involved with DFO as they really dont care about this thing as I sure you realize by now!!!!

It seems like an uphill battle but one we should maybe win one day (lets hope)

Hey Ive always told you id support you keep up the good work.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:I thank the 'Almighty' for our FN brothers & sisters'... they are not only currently leading the charge, they also could be the last feint-hope for our Great Fishes!

Of course they are,, its what they do they protest stuff.. And they should have a good turn out its not like the majority of them have jobs or careers to attend to all they have is time...

quote:I thank the 'Almighty' for our FN brothers & sisters'... they are not only currently leading the charge, they also could be the last feint-hope for our Great Fishes!

Of course they are,, its what they do they protest stuff.. And they should have a good turn out its not like the majority of them have jobs or careers to attend to all they have is time...

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

[:eek:)] What an ignorant statement

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

[:eek:)] What an ignorant statement

Walleyes that is a cheap shot and so untrue. You might just want to edit out your comments.

As for not attending, yes I was not there. I personally am doing what I can to help the salmon here in the CV. I don’t just fish for them; I help bring new generations back to the ocean through my volunteering at our local community hatchery. So you see some of us do care. We just show it in other ways.

GLG

Walleyes that is a cheap shot and so untrue. You might just want to edit out your comments.

As for not attending, yes I was not there. I personally am doing what I can to help the salmon here in the CV. I don’t just fish for them; I help bring new generations back to the ocean through my volunteering at our local community hatchery. So you see some of us do care. We just show it in other ways.

GLG

I went, and i brought my 2 kids to participate. My little one was yelling 'save wild salmon', almost the whole time. I found the speakers to be very motivating. The whole event was excellent. I went because i could, not everyone had the time. I hate to admit it, but listening to all the speeches, and learning more about the whole situation, made me choke back a couple tears.

I went, and i brought my 2 kids to participate. My little one was yelling 'save wild salmon', almost the whole time. I found the speakers to be very motivating. The whole event was excellent. I went because i could, not everyone had the time. I hate to admit it, but listening to all the speeches, and learning more about the whole situation, made me choke back a couple tears.

who planned this rally around that Hali derby?? I run 2 large events a year and do it all through volunteers, i can emphathise with Chris as man does it get frustrating when all you can see is people just taking and not putting back, but IT IS WHAT IT IS, people dont get involved enough( myself included) there always is something better to do and what does my one voice really men??

who planned this rally around that Hali derby?? I run 2 large events a year and do it all through volunteers, i can emphathise with Chris as man does it get frustrating when all you can see is people just taking and not putting back, but IT IS WHAT IT IS, people dont get involved enough( myself included) there always is something better to do and what does my one voice really men??

It wasn't one voice . It was thousands and was it ever amazing to see and feel. Wow is all I can say. I would not have missed that for anything. I missed my sisters wedding reception that day. After all was said and done I got a call from her and she expressed a sense of pride for what I chose to do and for the stand I took against the people who govern our country. To my sister I say thanks for understanding my very difficult decision.

The First Nations people were very well represented. I saw nothing but class! It was truly a day that brought all walks of life together. It was clear that this was a moment that was so much more than just about Fish farms . It was about our collective thoughts on how dissapointed we are in how our government is derailing our future.

It's time we all stand together. I had almost hoped that a mass group of sporties was coming around the corner when I saw a boat being trailered. It was not the floatilla I was hopping for but I do know that many of us were there. To you guys thank you for your continued support. If we do not stand together when we have these opportunities we will never make a differance.

I wonder if we could have known how big this turnout was going to be , if maybe it would have made it a little easier for those others to have joined in the fight.

We all put our differances aside. For one day. For one common goal. To save our salmon.

HL

It wasn't one voice . It was thousands and was it ever amazing to see and feel. Wow is all I can say. I would not have missed that for anything. I missed my sisters wedding reception that day. After all was said and done I got a call from her and she expressed a sense of pride for what I chose to do and for the stand I took against the people who govern our country. To my sister I say thanks for understanding my very difficult decision.

The First Nations people were very well represented. I saw nothing but class! It was truly a day that brought all walks of life together. It was clear that this was a moment that was so much more than just about Fish farms . It was about our collective thoughts on how dissapointed we are in how our government is derailing our future.

It's time we all stand together. I had almost hoped that a mass group of sporties was coming around the corner when I saw a boat being trailered. It was not the floatilla I was hopping for but I do know that many of us were there. To you guys thank you for your continued support. If we do not stand together when we have these opportunities we will never make a differance.

I wonder if we could have known how big this turnout was going to be , if maybe it would have made it a little easier for those others to have joined in the fight.

We all put our differances aside. For one day. For one common goal. To save our salmon.

HL

X2 but on the mainland

Good on those that attended!!

Getbent

Back