Wild Mushroom Picking - Chanterelles

FishDoc

Well since people seemed to like the mushroom hunting we did last fall thought I'd post our fall finds this year as well. No luck with the pine mushrooms this year. Strange year with all the early rain and cool temps. I hear they are popping on the island now. We did really well with white and golden chanterelles this year though. Went out to Ucluelet in September for the first time and found a bunch. Had a great time with the kids and got some great eating mushrooms.

Tried by whistler and pemberton but didn't find much besides some white chanterelles.
Then I went on wild goose chase for pines. Tried Chilliwack valley, Fraser Valley, Squamish and didn't find one. Just more chanterelles.

Can't complain. Started a new channel to post the mushroom hunting. Here's a few for anyone interested.

Nice work! My other half and I didn't get out for mushrooms as much as we wanted to this season, but the few times we did were actually fairly productive. The last few years have been kinda spotty. Our 6 year old loves coming out for the hunt too!

Nice work! My other half and I didn't get out for mushrooms as much as we wanted to this season, but the few times we did were actually fairly productive. The last few years have been kinda spotty. Our 6 year old loves coming out for the hunt too!

Did you find any pines this year. That's what I really wanted but didn't run into any this year.

We found two on the side of a fire road, on a mountain near port renfrew, this September on our way hiking to a camp site. They were incredible! I just wanted to sniff the paper bag we had them in all night before dinner. Like fresh cinnamon buns lol. We never found any more on the 3 or 4 mushroom hunting hikes we did this season. Lots of chanterelles, chicken of the woods, and lobster mushrooms though.

My wife and I take the kids out mushroom hunting in the fall and often bring other families -- everyone loves it. It's like a big Easter Egg hunt. We get them hunting for Chanterelle's because it's safe and easy.

While out for a walk in Mount Doug park a few weeks ago I came arcoss this beast -- weighed in a 3.5 lbs.Cauliflower.jpg

My wife and I take the kids out mushroom hunting in the fall and often bring other families -- everyone loves it. It's like a big Easter Egg hunt. We get them hunting for Chanterelle's because it's safe and easy.

While out for a walk in Mount Doug park a few weeks ago I came arcoss this beast -- weighed in a 3.5 lbs.View attachment 30439

Beautiful Cauliflower mushroom. I have yet to find any of those. I thought picking in parks was off limits? At least I know that's true in Provincial and National parks. Not sure about that particular one you were in. Yup the kids love mushroom hunting. Great activity for sure.

Great thread FishDoc. I love wild Vancouver Island mushrooms (we pick them up while hunting every year). So many people don't know about them and how delicious they are. Thanks for sharing :).

Last edited:
It's one of our favourite family activities, slayed the pines this year. Found a couple buttons as big as both fists combined, and of course bags and bags of chanterelles. Hard to beat em fried in garlic butter with some chunks of deer sausage. Sliced some pines super thin on the mandolin and dehydrated them, so good in soups, and sauces etc...

It's one of our favourite family activities, slayed the pines this year. Found a couple buttons as big as both fists combined, and of course bags and bags of chanterelles. Hard to beat em fried in garlic butter with some chunks of deer sausage. Sliced some pines super thin on the mandolin and dehydrated them, so good in soups, and sauces etc...

Wow... you are fortunate. I looked all over the place and didn't find a single pine mushroom. What seems so easy last year I failed to find one this year. I guess I'll keep expanding my territory next year and hope I happen upon some more pine patches. Good on you for finding the pines, it was a tough year from what I read. Obviously not for you.

Wow... you are fortunate. I looked all over the place and didn't find a single pine mushroom. What seems so easy last year I failed to find one this year. I guess I'll keep expanding my territory next year and hope I happen upon some more pine patches. Good on you for finding the pines, it was a tough year from what I read. Obviously not for you.

Yes, we were definitely lucky. We did much better than last years. Funny thing was none of my go to pine patches produced, we basically got just plain lucky with timing in a couple other spots.

Are these chanterelles?View attachment 30482
So from pictures it is hard to say for certain but I agree with Slayr that those are winter chanterelles, also known as yellow foot and funnel chanterelle. The key is looking at the underside. They don't have true gills like most mushrooms. They have more like a wrinkled vein like covered underside. The stems are usually hollow and can be a little tough. They have a nice chewy texture and flavor. They have a mild sweet smell when they are fresh and dry. Those pictured look pretty soggy. I just got a ton of those out by hope this week. They are small though so it takes a lot to amount to much. Here are the pictures of the ones I got when they are younger and drier. The big one in the picture is an Admiral bolete. Also edible if you find one thats not wormy.

15034869_701951889969630_722965063182319616_n.jpg

15035767_1359684547389425_5354333495093100544_n.jpg

What's the best way to get started picking?
Buy a book? Roll the dice? (Jk). Anyone on the north shore or Squamish heading out any time soon, I could tag along!

What's the best way to get started picking?
Buy a book? Roll the dice? (Jk). Anyone on the north shore or Squamish heading out any time soon, I could tag along!

I bought a couple different books. One thicker and more comprehensive and one thinner and more common mushrooms. I then choose what I want to go look for and study the books and Internet pictures. For example in our area the main mushrooms you will be picking are white, golden and winter chanterelles. All pretty easy to identify due to the underside looking like views instead of gills.

But I do think that going on one of those guided mushroom tours would be beneficial.

The number one rule is if you aren't certain of what you have, just throw it out. No mushroom roulette recommended.

When your starting you can pick samples of things you might think are edible and then do more research when you get home. That's how I continue to expand my understanding of what's out there.

IMG_1790.JPG IMG_1777.JPG IMG_1778.JPG IMG_1779.JPG
Went out w the dog the other day
Found some more winter chanterelles and what I think is a pine mushroom?
Also a ton of one I have no idea what it is (last two picts)

That one that you think was a pine I think it might be a deadly amanita like a destroying angel. Be careful with those little so called pines.

Striper Sniper you can touch poisonous mushrooms all you want, just can't consume them.

Back