Wild Coho Question

Dan

So, I'm trying to get a clear understanding of the salt water regs as I'm mainly a fresh water guy and have very little salt water experience.
Finding the salmon regs a bit more involved than I had expected so after sifting through it all many many many times and filling up the back of both my licenses with notes on everything I should possibly need to know I still have 1 thing that I can't get a clear answer on and I'm assuming the answer is "zero/no" but what the hey...

Wild coho retention ? any ?
Area 20, namely 20-5

All I can find are hatchery coho details...

Help ! A hundred thousand thank you's !!!

Area 20-5 to 20-7 Coho June 1 – Sep.
2 per day, hatchery
only, min. 30 cm

Area 20-5 to 20-7 Coho Oct 1 - Dec 31
2 per day, only one
of which maybe wild

Area 20-5 to 20-7 Coho June 1 – Sep.
2 per day, hatchery
only, min. 30 cm

Area 20-5 to 20-7 Coho Oct 1 - Dec 31
2 per day, only one
of which maybe wild

Odd, the one I'm looking at says 4 per day(hatch) Area 20-5 to 20-7 Coho Oct 1 - Dec 31

You sure you are looking at the right area? If you have a link, post it.

It's from the same link you provided(1st one), just scroll down from the top, it says:

Portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: in that portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: October 1 - December 31, 2013: four coho, one may be wild (unmarked). FN0445 2013-05-31

It's from the same link you provided(1st one), just scroll down from the top, it says:

Portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: in that portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: October 1 - December 31, 2013: four coho, one may be wild (unmarked). FN0445 2013-05-31

As I understand it that is an in season change and was the only minimal concession that DFO was willing to make for South VI although other areas along the west coast etc got some meaningful changes. In fact read through the changes and you will even find some areas permitted to take 4 all wild. These changes are DFO’s response to the huge recovery of Coho populations and the success of hatchery programs both US and Canadian but once again South VI continues to takes the hits.

With JDF going through yet another year with huge populations of Coho we should be opened for 3 clipped and one unclipped now. Or at the very least 4 clipped. How does it possibly benefit conservation needs not to retain 4 hatchery Coho. If anything it would be a good conservation move as many would take their 4 clipped Coho and go home. Now we catch our 2 clipped Coho in an hour or two and then hunt for Chinook which DFO has more concerns about. Further this would prevent them potentially competing with wild Coho on the spawning gravel. The reasons are apparently political because the conservation logic is weak.

While I am on a rant; why are we still having slot restrictions on Chinook in 19 and 20 since we are so far having one of the best years in years for big Chinook and certainly far better than last year when we had no slot after June 15th.

Back