WiFi For The Boat

Chasin' Dreams

I did lots of overnight trips over the past few years and wanted to add a WiFi booster and TV to my boat for the occasions I'm moored at marinas where the WiFi is weak.

I picked up a WiFi antenna with booster and router and an Amazon Firestick to stream with.

Very happy with the set up and recommend it if anyone was looking to do the same.

Can help pass time if your stuck at a marina waiting for bad weather too pass too.

This is the set up I got:
https://www.amazon.com/Vector-WiFi-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2020-03-15 18.22.09.jpg

51yxDma5TYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So it only boosts wifi when there is a signal available or does it have it's own? I usually just use my cell network as a hot spot. Assuming there's a signal. Otherwise I stare at the stars...drunk.

So it only boosts wifi when there is a signal available or does it have it's own? I usually just use my cell network as a hot spot. Assuming there's a signal. Otherwise I stare at the stars...drunk.
Cell for hot spot is fine for browsing the net but not good for streaming. It will burn up .5 to 2 gig of your data per hour and often doesn't work well to stream. Also not all areas have cell that may have wifI.

Cool. I considered a cell booster but heard they're ****.

I had a couple different WILSON cell boosters installed with external antennas over the years... Results were marginal.

The WiFi booster looks like a good idea for marinas.

Do most marinas have enough bandwidth to stream? Or is it usually throttled due to the number of boats all trying to use it?

I had a couple different WILSON cell boosters installed with external antennas over the years... Results were marginal.

The WiFi booster looks like a good idea for marinas.

Do most marinas have enough bandwidth to stream? Or is it usually throttled due to the number of boats all trying to use it?
I have found both scenerios where some have enough and some don't. But most do. The booster is increasing your up load and down load speeds. You can also adjust your own setting on you streaming to use less data. The quality can be affected from going from high Def to standard. Also with Amazon Fire TV there's litterally thousands of stored movies, shows etc to choose from not just live streaming TV and movies.
Can help too with restless kids too if your stuck waiting out bad weather fir extended periods.

Reactions: BCI
I’ve always used boosters as well, they are amazing. You have to make sure you match booster to type of network you are using. ie LTE, 3G

Just to clear this up a bit in case some readers are confused about cell vs wifi boosters; A cell booster is taking cellular signal and amplifying it to your location which then you can create a "hot spot" from that signal, then direct wifi signal to all your devices from your cell phone. But this uses your cellular data. If you plan on using that to stream it will eat up data very fast especially if you stream in HD. But it is great for browsing the net and ensuring you have cell service to make/receive calls with.

Wifi specific boosters though are grabbing land based wifi signals and amplifying them then directing them to your own router which you can then use all your devices from. You also have to have the passwords for existing wifi signals that are being broadcasted in order to boost/amplify/repeat those signals. So if a marina has given you the password, or a restaurant, wifi cafe near where you are then you can boost those signals and stream from them without using your cell data to do this from.
Wifi antenna's are pretty much line of site like VHF antenna's etc so if the signal is blocked by an obstacle it won't help. They also make "directional" antennas that you can aim at a location you know where the wifi is coming from in order to help receive and boost that signal.

When streaming if you are connected to land based wifi or using your cell phone data you may want to adjust your settings on your streaming device/app so that you use less data/bandwidth when doing so depending on your connection upload/download speed. Some of them like the Amazon Fire TV will also monitor and track your data usage and will let you set alarms to let you know if you are getting high in your data usage.
Most devices have a network settings page where you can do that like this:
20200317_100511.jpg

20200317_100431.jpg

Wilson Electronics is now called WeBoost. Great company. Been using boosters for years now. I have one in my truck, my camper and my boat.

Researched on weboost boosters and there are several models. I run my boat all over the coast, Vancouver to north of Rupert as well as either side of VCI. For this application in my boat which booster would you recommend?

Will a cell booster find a cell signal where normal cell phones won’t? IE Nootka Sound? If you go far enough off shore at Nootka you can pickup Tofino or a cell site close to Tofino. But, close to shore there’s zip.

Will a cell booster find a cell signal where normal cell phones won’t? IE Nootka Sound? If you go far enough off shore at Nootka you can pickup Tofino or a cell site close to Tofino. But, close to shore there’s zip.

There is mountains and hills in the way of the tower.

Im up in Hesquiat Harbour often. There is a new ish cell tower at Hotsprings cove that has substantially improved service up there. For the most part people can text and make spotty calls from there so with a good booster there may be service off shore of Nootka but Im never there so I could not say.
With boosters you get what you pay for. I usually use mid to high end cell boosters 150-500$

Generally there has to be a signal present. Where a normal phone will have 1 bar with a good booster you will get 3-4 bars where data and phone calls will work fine.

In the worst case scenario where a hone will get no service a booster will get you 1-2 bars where you may only be able to text effectively but it still has to be in sight of a tower. No direct line to a tower, no signal, generally.

There is some bending of signals over and beside mountains. There are also scenarios where a signal will reflect, I believe off a mountain face. I know one spot in sayward in the middle of nowhere that is in the bottom of the valley where there is no signal for 30k. There is a stretch of road(75 yards) that barely has a signal and it is difficult to text and call but with the booster it works fine however can have the odd glitch in a phone call. I have found a few spot like this in my travels because I am always looking for service.

It also helps to upgrade your aerials if you get a unit that only has a 6 inch.
prices have gone up a lot on these.
It is not uncommon to have to repower these units to reboot them I have found to get them to work but mine are on all the time.

Back