Wholesale Outfitters

"Excellent pricing on a couple things, but $2 per 2/0 Gammy Finesse WideGap hook?? ($10 per 5).. must be a huge mistake in posting".

Was in the Wholesale Sports store, in Edmonton Fri., I dropped about $650.00, but the Gama.s = Octopus #5/0 RED Barbless 25pk. - $11.99, Finesse Wide Gap #4/0 & #3/0 25pk. - $12.99 ALL the Siwash I bought (10pks.) #3/0- #5/0 were $2.99 for 6! I also picked up some "j" plugs $8.99 ea. and 2 114 Penn 6" Senators for $165.99 ea. I bought the Tuf Plus 150# for my D.R.s 300Yds. for $77.99, I thought that was a little high.:D

i just bought 400 yds of scotty braided 250# test down rigger line @ army and navy vancouver for $64 plus tax today so what you paid seems very high to me. headin to tofino for 4 days of fishing eary monday. my cables were starting to fray a little so thought i'd try the braided dr line for a change.
cheers ferret

Those big stores have to make a lot of money to keep the doors open so they don't give stuff away by any means. Any business person owning a smaller store knows where the price has to be to remain competitive.

Those big stores have to make a lot of money to keep the doors open so they don't give stuff away by any means. Any business person owning a smaller store knows where the price has to be to remain competitive.

Checked the pricing out at "wholesale".....its a joke. Lowrance products hundreds of dollars cheaper at HC (HDS10) and the guy at the counter knew absoutely nothing about the product. Powerpro line, plugs, and spoons, much cheaper at Pacific Net and Twine........
I'm gonna keep supporting the local little guys

Its a pretty fun store to walk around and dream. They have a lot of things you can only get in the states (until now) or on the internet.

I also agree that Gone Fishing has nothing to worry about as long as we all make the effort to still shop there. Even if its just for the things that are cheaper at Gone Fishing as oppose to Wholesale Sports and dont just buy it all at Wholesale for the convenience. Gone Fishing has earned atleast a little loyalty from all of us.

I buy all my terminal gear, hooks & baits, incl PB locally, as well as a lot of gear. Fenwick 9' casting rod @ Island Outfitters $114, vs $114 US on the web plus shipping & duties.

But a Maxima service spool at Nikka $110-$170, when I can get it at Cabelas for $54-$84, in 10 days?... I'll wait the 10 days & pay shipping & duties... $8 for 1/4# Big Game vs $17-$20... and TuffLine XP 65#, 2500 yds... $180 if you can wait?... Yeah, hard not to plan those buys & wait it out. ($310 for 2500 yds 130#) And I want a package of 100 good duolocks or crane-swivel snaps in 30# & 50# test, not a package of 3 for $4.50. I lose 5-15/day.

A Shimano lifetime otc guarantee?.. That's worth going local, where they'll do the otc swap when you need it.

Trotac, Westshore & most often Island Outfitters are a pretty good bunch to deal with. I like to keep what I can right here in town.

Cheers all

Well we got thier Grand Opening flyer in the mail a few days ago. You would expect that they would try to make an impression and draw the crowds in. The "discounts" they listed in the fishing stuff were underwhelming.. 10% on Islanders, 5% on Lowrance/Eagle sounders.... big deal!

With the exception of the Lowrance radar, I see no reason to travel down from Courtenay to buy gear when I know that Tyee Marine and GoneFishin will be having sales later that will be equal to, or beat the stuff posted in the flyer.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Just looked at their flyer, which I guess was included in every newspaper on the Island, not too exciting. Will have to visit the store when I'm in Nanaimo, but if it's anything like the one Cabela's I've been in, I'm not expecting too much. Most of the big mega-sports retailers have figured out that the big profits are in selling clothing anyway, the hardware/tackle is just to get you into the store.
One thing in the flyer that caught my eye, and which I thought was illegal, was the Mossberg 12 gauge with the pistol grip. Looks like a gang gun, not a hunting item.

quote:One thing in the flyer that caught my eye, and which I thought was illegal, was the Mossberg 12 gauge with the pistol grip. Looks like a gang gun, not a hunting item.

Again just to get the gang types in the store where they will buy clothing...

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Copper Moon

I too was underwhelmed...

I had occasion to be down in Nanaimo earlier this week, so stopped by for a boo. Sales fella said We have EVERYTHING here, so I proceeded to give him the list of the 5 items I was looking for. We wandered through each of the relevant sections, and nope, NADA. Not even one of those items was on the shelf, nor appeared it would be any time soon. Everything? Methinks not. [B)]

And, from what I saw of their prices, I won't be running back any time soon.

Cheers,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by Copper Moon

I too was underwhelmed.

+1 I had occasion to drive through Nanaimo and time to stop and wander the store. I had a few things in mind. Ended up getting good service and spending my money at Trotac.

www.kayaks2.com

I drove up to the store yesterday and picked up a few things, mostly for my dogs. Lots of space and displays, and it looks like they have yet to receive a lot of stock. Also, there's lots of room for them to expand within the store. All the staff that I talked to were very nice and helped as best as the could. I'm sure things will improve as time goes on and that Robin will do a great job.

Hey Porcupine:

For a mammal covered in needle sharp quills, you sure are a smooth penned diplomat!

[}:)];):D

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

I drove up to the store yesterday and picked up a few things, mostly for my dogs. Lots of space and displays, and it looks like they have yet to receive a lot of stock. Also, there's lots of room for them to expand within the store. All the staff that I talked to were very nice and helped as best as the could. I'm sure things will improve as time goes on and that Robin will do a great job.

It always takes a bit to get things organized and going....I cant wait to make some time to go check it out...I will be like a kid in a candy store:)

made it up to wholesale today...I was quite impressed more than enough staff to help out...the shelves were full...the only problem was when do I stop buying....added a new pea shooter to the cabinet, a new scope, some ammo...I spent a few dollars..good thing I didn't bring the family...I had lots of room in the truck for my toys:D..alot of the prices are right on par with other places,and quite a few are alot cheaper...but it is nice have it there and not having to order...I like to impulse buy:)

Back