Who wants to match me from Sportfishing BC

Already donated $300 earlier in the summer.

sorry, wouldn't give her any funding....as a scientist, her methods and past science, is skeptical at best. It isn't that I believe that this project isn't worthwhile, I just prefer to have my scientific work done by proper scientists and not scienoactivists.....don't get me started on david suzuki...lol

sorry, wouldn't give her any funding....as a scientist, her methods and past science, is skeptical at best. It isn't that I believe that this project isn't worthwhile, I just prefer to have my scientific work done by proper scientists and not scienoactivists.....don't get me started on david suzuki...lol

you mean like the scientists at the dfo?

Lorne

it's not the problems with the science at dfo.....it is very good with some very good scientists actually, the problem is with the higher ups who allocate funding for the dfo scientists....they often fund the dumbest projects and don't fund the projects that the public wants because they would involve multi-year funding and commitment, and the whims of management, budgets and politicians don't commit to these. Read the papers, critically and from a scientific standpoint do the conclusions match the results, testing procedures, etc stand up to critical review....that is the stuff that i have the problem with....much of the good science at dfo you don't hear about because they don't publicize and push it to media sources, which they should in most cases so we can understand what they are doing. The scienactivists do know how to use the media and use inflammatory statements and conclusions instead of sticking to the results and the facts. That is what I meant. (I just don't like suzuki because he acts like all the ideas are his and takes credit for them, instead of giving credit to the students (Ph.D and Masters) that are doing the work, etc.

just my opinion

DOCTOR Dave to you.......... and if you think there is no place for non govt scientists in assuring the public interests are properly looked after, you are sadly mistaken..

You use the term "scienactivists" I much prefer them to biostitutes..........

Yes-- there are many good people working as scientists in goverment, but there are also those that just hang in there for a pay cheque and the retirement package.

I am thankful that we have Alex trying her best to fight for our salmon..... given Harpers gutting of the Fisheries Act, we need more like her.

BTW-- how many decades has it been since Suzuki was a functioning professor.. he hasnt had students reporting to him for years.......

Last edited by a moderator:
nope....not doctor dave to me....

I'm not saying I don't think that there is a place for other third party scientists....i think they are great if they are impartial. I agree, I have trouble with scientists who are employed by big business, some of the gov't ones and the ones funded by activist organizations, etc.

Where does A. Morton get her funding from.....who pays for the big boat of hers, gas, etc.....it isn't free, or even mostly from general public, it is from privately funded activist organizations and her science doesn't add up?

Suzuki.....I don't respect anyone with a Ph.D. who asks you to call them Dr.....Doctor, insinuates you are a medical doctor. You are wrong, he does get the majority of info for his shows, etc from other scientists, students, etc....not his own ideas but he doesn't mention that. He only retired in 2001. How many houses, cars, etc. does he have but spouts about all of us living more "green"....practice what you preach...but that is true for al gore, and many others.

I do agree that we need more un-biased third party scientists instead of your scientific reports that favors whoever is footing the bill such as a "biostitute". As a scientist I have written reports for companies who did not like what I had to report and so they went to the next group and gotten the report they wanted....but it was the gov't scientists that caught them and prosecuted them....but often they are not caught because nobody watches....i guess I am just pessimistic tonight since this happens often in the financial arena as well and "we" the public and gov't don't change it....because it "works" for those who make the rules.....

I'll lay off the rant now and maybe get some sleep.

The scienactivists do know how to use the media and use inflammatory statements and conclusions instead of sticking to the results and the facts. That is what I meant...just my opinion

It's your opinion and an excuse to do nothing. Fish farmers avoid, obfuscate and deny the facts and twist science to their own ends. They employ media consultants to massage their deceitful messages and ensure profit to their shareholders. They have enlisted lobbyists to guarantee the governments enact policies in their favour. Meanwhile, our natural environment and wild salmon suffer with parasites and disease.

You may debate who has the moral high ground and continue doing nothing but I will continue to support Alex Morton on the much larger concerns. She and her people are tirelessly working for the benefit of our wild salmon and thereby for our member's personal interests. I donate monthly and will continue to do so, putting my money where my mouth is. You have chosen to do something else.

First of all I'd like to thank Empty Net, Falcon, Pro-Fisher and FoxSea....You guys obviously get it. As for SharkBait.....Please do your homework about an individual before you run your mouth. You make out like this lady who is a registered marine biologist, is some crazy activist who has no scientific background. She works tirelessy for the cause and plight of wild salmon. What have u done lately for the species?? Please tell me who you donate money towards to help wild salmon? I'm a positive thinking guy, and if your not part of the solution....your part of the problem.

Personally, I think your a Muppett....If you didn't feel like donating to the cause, you could have just viewed the thread like the other 500 people did and kept your mouth shut. Oh, by the way........below is just a few of the accolades this crazy lady has recieved, and a few articles/books she has written/published.

To the rest of the SFBC community, I know many of you donate time/money to Hatchery's, The Pacific salmon Foundation, Georgia Straight Alliance and other causes towards salmon and for that I Thank You.

PS I have no ties to Alex Morton......I am just a regular Joe Six Pack, who wants to be able to take my two young sons fishing for salmon in the future.
If you got an extra few bucks for her work, even 5 or Ten.......it all adds up and helps out.

Cheers Lucky S

Awards
■1991 Sheila A. Egoff Children’s Prize BC Book Prizes
■2002 Honourable Mention Nature and the Environment Category – National Outdoor Book Award (Listening to Whales)
■2003 Environmental Contribution Award - Service on the Sea
■2004 Animal Action Award - International Fund for Animal Welfare
■2005 Winner BC Book Prize (Stain Upon the Sea)
■2005 Roderick Haig-Brown Conservation Award - Totem Flyfishers
■2006 Murray Newman Award – Vancouver Aquarium
■2007 Conservationist of the Year by BC Wildlife Federation
■2008 Roland Michener Conservation Award Canadian Wildlife Federation
■2008 Eugene Rogers environmental Award
■2010 Honourary PhD Science Simon Fraser University
■2010 Wings WorldQuest
Books
Morton, A.B. 1991 Siwiti – A Whale’s Story. Orca Books, Victoria
Morton, A.B. 1993. In the Company of Whales, from the Diary of a Whale Watcher. Orca Books Victoria
Morton, A.B 1998. Life Among the Whales. In: Intimate Nature. Chapter. Ballantine Books New York
Morton, A.B. and Bill Proctor. 1998. Heart of the Raincoast. Horsdal and Schubart , Victoria
Morton, A.B. 2002 Listening to Whales, Random House, New York April 2002
Morton, A.B. 2004 Beyond the Whales, Heritage Press, Victoria
Morton, A.B. et al. 2005 Stain Upon Sea, Chapter Harbour Press

Referreed Publications
Morton, A. B., 1986. Sound and behavioral correlation in captive Orcinus orca. In: Kirkevold, B.C. and Lockhard, J.S. (eds.) Behavioral biology of killer whales. Alan R. Liss, Inc. New York. Pp. 303-333.

Morton, A.B. 1990. A quantitative comparison of the behaviour of resident and transient forms of the killer whale off the central British Columbia coast. Report of the International Whaling Commission. (special issue 12): 245-248.

Morton, A.B. 2000. Occurrence, photo-identification and prey of Pacific white-sided dolphins (Lagenorhyncus obliquidens) in the Broughton Archipelago, Canada 1985-1997. Marine Mammal Science. 16(1):80-93.

Morton, A.B. and Symonds, H.K. 2002. Displacement of Orcinus orca by high amplitude sound in British Columbia, Canada. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 59: 71-80

Morton, A.B. and Volpe J. 2002 A description of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon Salmo salar captures and their characteristics in one Pacific salmon fishery area in British Columbia Canada, in 2000. Alaska Fishery Research Bulletin, 9: 102-109.

Ford, J.K.B., G. Ellis, L. Barret-Lennard, A.B. Morton, R. Palm and K.C. Balcomb. Diet Specialization in two sympatric populations of killer whales (Orcinus orca) in coastal British Columbia and adjacent waters. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 21: 603-618

Morton, A.B., and Williams R . 2003 Infestation of the sea louse Lepeophtheirus salmonis (Krø.yer) on juvenile pink salmon Oncorhynchus gorbuscha (Walbaum) in British Columbia, Canadian Field Naturalist, 117: 634-641

Morton, A.B., Routledge, R., Peet, C. and Ladwig, A 2004 Sea lice, Lepeophtheirus salmonis, infection rates on juvenile chum and pink salmon in the nearshore marine environment in British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 61: 147-157.

Blaylock, R. B. Overstreet, R.M. and Morton, A.B. 2005 The pathogenic copepod Phrixocephalus cincinnatus (Copepoda: Pennellidae) in the eye of arrowtooth flounder, Atherestes stomias, and rex sole, Glyptocephalus zachirus, from British Columbia. The European Association of Fish Pathologists, 25: 116-123.

Ford, J.K.B., Matkin, D.R., Balcomb, K.C., Briggs, D., Morton, A.B., Killer whale attacks on Minke Whales: prey capture and antipredator tactics In Press, Marine Mammal Science 21: 603-618.

Morton, A.B., Routledge, R, and Williams R. 2005 Temporal patterns of sea lice infestation on wild Pacific salmon in relation to the fallowing of Atlantic salmon farms. American Journal of Fisheries Management. 25: 811-821 Krkosek, M., A. Morton, and J.P. Volpe. 2005. Nonlethal Assessment of Juvenile Pink and Chum Salmon for Parasitic Sea Lice Infections and Fish Health. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 134: 711 716

Morton, A.B. and Routledge (2006) Mortality rates for juvenile pink and chum salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha and keta) infested with sea lice (Lepeophtheirus salmonis) in the Broughton Archipelago. Alaska Fisheries Research Bulletin. 11:2, 146-152.

Morton, A.B. and Richard Routledge (2006) Fulton’s Condition Factor: Is it a valid measure of sea lice impact on juvenile salmon? North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 26,56–62.

Krkosek, M., Lewis, M.A., Volpe, J.P., & Morton, A.B.. 2006. Fish Farms and sea lice infestations of wild juvenile salmon in the Broughton Archipelago - A rebuttal to Brooks (2006). Reviews in Fisheries Science. 14: 1-11.

Morton, A.B. and Williams, R. 2006. Response of the Sea Louse Lepeophtheirus salmonis infestation levels on juvenile wild Pink, Oncorhynchus gorbuscha, and Chum, O. keta, salmon, to arrival of parasitized wild adult salmon. Canadian Field Naturalist. 120:2

Krkosek, M., Lewis, M. A., Volpe, J.P. and Morton, A.B.. 2006. Fish Farms and Sea Lice Infestations of Wild Juvenile Salmon in the Broughton Archipelago—A Rebuttal to Brooks (2005). Reviews in Fisheries Science, 14: 1-11

Krkosek, M., Lewis, M., Morton, A. Frazer, N., and Volpe, J. 2006. Epizootics of wild fish induced by farm fish Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 103: 15506-15510.

Krkosek, M., Ford, J. S., Morton, A.B., Lele, S., Myers, R.A., & Lewis, M.A., 2007. Declining wild salmon populations in relation to parasites from farm salmon. Science. 318, 1772-1775.

Krkosek, M., Ford, J. S., Morton, A.B., Lele, S., & Lewis, M.A., 2008. Response to comment on 'Declining wild salmon populations in relation to parasites from farm salmon'. Science. 322, 1790-1791.

Krkosek, M., Ford, J. S., Morton, A.B., Lele, S., & Lewis, M.A., 2008. Sea lice and pink salmon declines: A response to Brooks and Jones. Reviews in Fisheries Science. 16, 413-420.

Morton, A.B., Routledge, R. and Krokosek, M. 2008. Sea lice infestation of wild juvenile salmon and herring associated with fish farms off the east central coast of Vancouver Island, BC. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28, 523-532.

Krkosek, M., A. Morton, J. Volpe, & M.A. Lewis, 2009. Sea lice and salmon population dynamics: Effects of exposure time for migratory fish. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B. 272:689-696.

Shouldn't you be molding young minds right now???
tsk tsk tsk...what would Alexandra say to that?

Good on yah....Sunday may be a go....

Now do us all a favour and getbent.....

cheers

I'm not saying I don't think that there is a place for other third party scientists....i think they are great if they are impartial. I agree, I have trouble with scientists who are employed by big business, some of the gov't ones and the ones funded by activist organizations, etc.

Where does A. Morton get her funding from.....who pays for the big boat of hers, gas, etc.....it isn't free, or even mostly from general public, it is from privately funded activist organizations and her science doesn't add up?

Suzuki.....I don't respect anyone with a Ph.D. who asks you to call them Dr.....Doctor, insinuates you are a medical doctor. You are wrong, he does get the majority of info for his shows, etc from other scientists, students, etc....not his own ideas but he doesn't mention that. He only retired in 2001. How many houses, cars, etc. does he have but spouts about all of us living more "green"....practice what you preach...but that is true for al gore, and many others.

I do agree that we need more un-biased third party scientists instead of your scientific reports that favors whoever is footing the bill such as a "biostitute". As a scientist I have written reports for companies who did not like what I had to report and so they went to the next group and gotten the report they wanted....but it was the gov't scientists that caught them and prosecuted them....but often they are not caught because nobody watches....i guess I am just pessimistic tonight since this happens often in the financial arena as well and "we" the public and gov't don't change it....because it "works" for those who make the rules.....

I'll lay off the rant now and maybe get some sleep.

I have been involved with science, both biological and technical, for majority of my schooling and career - your comments make me embarrassed for you.

you don't respect anyone with a Ph.D asking to be called doctor? even though only one argument up you are ripping Mr.Suzuki for taking credit for the Ph.D's under him..... a Ph.d in certain disciplines can take twice as long as an MD. Your personal opinion may be that they should not go by Doctor to fit into your very narrow minded idea of what a "doctor" should be, but to say that you dont respect them for asking to be called by their appropriate title is far from anything i would expect from an unbiased man of science.

AS for utilizing media and trying to accentuate key points of your research - it's called a thesis and most folks learn that in their schooling. Leveraging the media is just a no brainer in today's world.

As for Gore and Suzuki - they are taking a fresh approach to going green. It doesn't mean never driving a vehicle and living with no power and zero carbon footprint - you can make an impact by being smart in the right places and utilizing little changes across your lifestyle to make a large impact. it is a smart idea and much more palatable to folks than growing dreadlocks, wearing bark clothing and living in a tree fort in clayquot sound (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Your attack on this women who dedicated her time and effort to a great cause is uncalled for and not in alignment with what the majority feel on this thread.

I hope if she reads this she realizes that this is a single point of view shared by SB and that many of us are grateful for the work she is doing and would encourage her to keep it up!

Bright side is that I am now donating $100

you don't respect anyone with a Ph.D asking to be called doctor? ...trying to accentuate key points of your research - it's called a thesis and most folks learn that in their schooling. Leveraging the media is just a no brainer in today's world.
Your attack on this women who dedicated her time and effort to a great cause is uncalled for and not in alignment with what the majority feel on this thread.
I hope if she reads this she realizes that (SB's rant) is a single point of view ...and that many of us are grateful for the work she is doing and would encourage her to keep it up!

Nice rebuttal and thanks for donating!

SharKbait,

I am going to address your points one by one, and show them to be muddled, inaccurate and fundamentally wrong because you do not understand what science is.

This is a twisted statement mixing up two entirely different funding sources. Funding coming from big business has one single ulterior motive. To ultimately make a bigger profit, usually whatever the consequences now or in the future. An activist organisation is “activist” because they care. They have a cause which transcends greed and economics. Since activists are not motivated by profit, please tell me how funding from these organisations somehow leads to “tainted” science. However, a bigger issue is you do not seem to understand how science works. Funding only influences the direction of research i.e. what is studied. Funding sources for real science cannot influence the results. More on this later.

Most of Morton’s funding comes from the general public. If some money comes from an activist organisation who cares about our salmon and the environment, why is that bad? You have bought into the “activist” label spread by the media and industry spin doctors as though this term is somehow derogatory. It is not; it is a badge of honour.

Ludicrous to the max. You don’t know your history. The degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) began at Oxford and Cambridge Universities centuries ago, long before the MD designation was even thought of. In the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century as professionalism and science crept into the medical business that community was desperate to increase their credibility so they “appropriated” the term doctor from the long before established academic doctor of philosophy and science and created the MD degree.

You are also not aware that everyone in the academic community refers to anyone with a Ph.D. as doctor. Have done for centuries and still do, as a mark of respect. In Germany it is “Herr Doktor”. It is not the scientifically educated and academic community’s fault that the ignorant public like yourself thinks “doctor” automatically means an MD or that Ph.D.’s are wannbe MD's. Very sorry, but it is the other way round – the MD’s want the respect afforded to the Ph.D. because they have only emerged from quackery about 150 years ago.

I do agree that we need more un-biased third party scientists instead of your scientific reports that favors whoever is footing the bill such as a "biostitute". As a scientist I have written reports for companies who did not like what I had to report and so they went to the next group and gotten the report they wanted

I don’t know what you are talking about here but I reiterate, it is not science. Science follows scrupulous methodologies that remove bias. The results are statistically analysed for significance and then published in peer reviewed journals that can and do ensure no bias and reviewers will challenge any interpretation not supported by the evidence and results. The funding source can only influence the direction of research and study. I.e. what area is looked at. It cannot “make” the results come out to be favourable to the funder. That is not science.

....but it was the gov't scientists that caught them and prosecuted them....but often they are not caught because nobody watches....

Again, I’m not sure what you are talking about here. If someone did anything illegal I’m not sure what this has to do with the scientific method.

i guess I am just pessimistic tonight since this happens often in the financial arena as well and "we" the public and gov't don't change it....because it "works" for those who make the rules.....

Please do not mix up financial shenanigans with scientific study. The former has nothing to do with latter and the finance world follows entirely different protocols and rules which have no equivalent to the rigour of science.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched this for a long time and after the Sharkbait thread just sent $500 to the cause. I live in Washington by the way. I have also supported local Canadian charters through the years.

Joe Milligan

This place is funny........

Back