Who no's about ethenal in outboard gas.

Buddie at the fuel dock was telling me all the new mid grade fuel will now contain ethenal. So unless they start selling premium(Big Bucks) instead of mid grade(Recomended for most outboards.)The fuel has to contain ethenal. Looking for some insight to help buddie make up his mind on what to sell. Thanks in advance for any input.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

they went through this down south over the last few years-
everything older than 5 or so years ago was in havoc because the gas lines arnt rated for it and deteriorate, clog filters, etc etc. basically all fuel lines on boat and engine must be replaced.

Doesnt make a difference for newer boats and engines because everything on them should be ethanol rated.

Thanks n/2. What Ive always been led to believe about ethonal fuel in old boats, they are going to experience problems unless there entire fuel supply system is revamped. Fiberglass fuel tanks will brake down, old fuel lines will brake down, sludge is created by the fuel in a reletivly short time, old rubber parts(fuel pump diaphrams, carb gaskets ect will break down.) All of which will cause lean running conditions and the nead for a new motor. O I forgot about the fuel and water becoming one. Don't sound good for the poor people out there. Any input greatly appretiated. O YA If it's more than 10% ethanol the new motors will blow up too.:(

Also in 2006 (I think it was) When ethanol became manditory in the states, service shop buisness went up a huge %.
I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

I've heard that there is a 'blue' Stabil additive that is for use with ethanol treated fuel, but don't personally know enough about it to comment.
Any time frame your buddy mentioned GF?

Now why should ethanol affect a 4 stroke engine any more than a car engine?? I can see it with the older 2 stokes, but newer engines ( both 2 and 4 stroke) I want to see some proof.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I have run ethenal in many 2 strokes for years..So what is the problem? If it blows up for some reason, it just means it's time for a new motor.

No worry here.

Question to all the old timers what happened when lead left our fuel? F all... I still run them lead burners today and so do many others, with no problems.

The biggest problem with ethanol is that the material that was used in o-rings and gaskets was not compatible and it would raise havoc with the sealing of important parts.In general most equipment is made with this in mind. The other issue was it would break down quicker than gasoline.Also ethanol needs more in volume to produce the same power as gasoline.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

This might help answer a feew questions? I think you might have concern, if your boat is prior to 1984?
quote:
Ethanol is a blend of gasoline and ethyl alcohol. Ethyl alcohol is an excellent solvent and is hydroscopic, that is it adsorbs water. Acting as a solvent, ethanol can damage the sealants used on older fiberglass fuel tanks. The dissolved sealants can be ingested by the engine which can cause damage and fuel leaking from a tank into the bilge is a fire hazard. Fuel tanks built of other materials are not immune to having a problem. Ethanol has a cleaning effect on tanks that releases fine metallic particles which will pass through most fuel filters. The dissolved metals will clog fuel injector nozzles and carburetors. Ethanol added to a fuel tank contaminated with water will cause expensive repairs. The water in the tank will combine with the ethyl alcohol to produce a noncombustible layer of liquid in the tanks that will stop most engines cold.

The jury is still out on the definitive protection plan for ethanol fuel use. The following are some suggestions that have helped other boaters:

•Boats built prior to 1984 should have their fiberglass fuel tanks and lines replaced with modern equivalents before ever using ethanol. This will immediately eliminate almost certain failure of these older fuel tanks and components.
•Historically boaters were told to leave their fuel tanks full in the winter. Initially the industry thought that it might be more prudent to empty the tanks and thoroughly clean them prior use in the following boating season. BoatU.S. is recommending that this practice not be followed.
•Use a good water separating fuel filter and carry several spare cartridges for it. Racor Filter manufactures a good product for this purpose.
•Try to avoid mixing gasoline blended with MBTE and ethanol. Use up the MBTE blended gasoline in your tank and insure the tank is clean prior to adding ethanol to it.
•Ethanol fuel has a very short shelf life compared to the gas we are used to burning. Limit your fuel onboard to what's needed in the next two weeks.
It appears the best defense for boaters in the use of ethanol fuel is to keep your fuel tank clean of water and use adequate filters. There may be more improvements in engine and fuel system technology that will address this problem. While your fueling your vessel, remember to review accepted industry Safe Boat Fueling practices.
http://boatingsailing.suite101.com/article.cfm/ethanol_fuel_problems_for_boaters#ixzz0an6Sr0U5

The author: http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/asorum

Back