Which rod gets more hits in your boat.

Kristo

I have been noticing that the shallow rod on the port side of my boat seems to get the vast majority of hits when fishing 4 rods.
Only thing I can think of is that my kicker is mounted port of the main engine...maybe noise, exhaust or turbulance in the water is
Anyone else notice anything similar?............any other explanations?

Port side on my boat. Kicker is mounted there as well. I don't think it has anything to do with that however. You see that's the side my son always fishes on and he always picks the right depth;):cool:. When there are more than just the two of us on board he fishes the starboard side and that side get's all the hit's lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found the starboard rod (kicker on port) out fishes port rod 9 to 1. No idea why. Old and new boat.

Sounds like you need to change your braid back over to wire, High 5!! This is the exact reason I have not switched to
braid yet.

Which ever the wife is using, port/starboard/left/right.......what ever you want to call it, she get's (usually) the first/biggest/most at the end of the trip........has been doing so for years.......trout fishing
many years ago and salmon/halibut/bottom fish in last recent years. I use the same rod/reel/line/bait/depth.........but at the end of the trip..........she is smiling. I did beat her once in about 8 years.

Another question: Has anyone ever noticed that when you get a good size spring on and it goes down and gives a few head shakes and the rod is bent over and you find yourself in a stalemate, as it
doesn't want to come up, once you shut the main/kicker off, it comes right up? Has happened numerous times to us.............just wondering

Kristo, is the shallow port rod usually the shallowest of all? Sometimes salmon will "climb" your gear as they are constantly looking they tend to get distracted by the shallower lures and then simply hit the last one!

My boat has always fired off on my wife's side first the part side opposite the kicker and the rigger with the braided line. Even when fishing same depth same gear, and even all through sockeye fishing. That side had a double header top and bottom , and then produced the 3 nice springs this past couple weeks and my steel side produced a big skunk like most days. I switched to braid 2 weeks ago and now both sides are producing hits, wish I SWITCHED LONG AGO. Port side still seems a little fishier though, and my top rod on kicker side still hasn't popped this year.

My three decent chinook last year all came to the braid side. However, this winter/spring the wire side has out fished the braid side 3:1 for chinook.
Anyway, I am going back to all wire based on the bad experiences I have recently had with braid, which was posted in the Sooke reports thread.

Mine always hit the braid side! And the only thing ive noticed is alot more big springs getting caught below 100ft on the rigger.

Lippy's rod on the wire side! And the only thing ive noticed is alot more big springs getting caught below 100ft on the rigger.

Fixed for ya buddy :D

I think I need to set up my rod myself. In past my adult son has set them up identically but he is the one who gets most of the strikes. He is an accountant and pays attention to detail. Then again, he takes the rod opposite side of the kicker.

Back