Which 25HP to use as a Kicker?

redram99

Hi All
Looking for input from owners of the 25-30hp class of outboards as kickers.
I am not really brand loyal, but do lean towards merc!
They are in short supply at this point but i am on wait lists for a merc 25, Suzuki 25 and tohatsu 30.
There are 25hp Yamaha avail, but I am concerned with it only being a 2 cylinder vs the other offerings being 3 cylinders.

Weight is not an issue.

I appreciate your thoughts.
thanks.

The newer T25C comes in 25” shaft. This is a nice option. Not totally sure about Mercury or Suzuki? But online they seem to be offered in 15-20”.

Yamaha 25T works well even being a 2 cylinder with newest model. Does vibrate and shake alittle more than the older version, but the weight savings out weighs it. The prop and gearing makes a difference prop guard helps too

I can’t seem to find anything on Merc’s website about a 25 command thrust. Their website isn’t thee easiest to navigate IMO. Found this on a dealer’s website. Looks like there is no 25 command thrust?

785C5B09-4182-42AE-BC59-87D14CB19930.png

Yamaha 25T works well even being a 2 cylinder with newest model. Does vibrate and shake alittle more than the older version, but the weight savings out weighs it. The prop and gearing makes a difference prop guard helps too
That’s what I was looking for. Kind of makes me lean a bit more towards the 3 cylinder options. Potentially A bit smoother. 20-40lbs weight isn’t much of an issue for my application.
I’ve used a 15hp merc and found it a bit annoying.

It really doesnt matter as your at such low RPMS do have a buddy who has a 25 4 stroke in great condition if your interested have no clue on it being 2 or 3 cyl?
let me know and pm me and ill send you his info

Tohatsu is priced the best i believe.. i ran one for 8 years. no issues.

We cant feel the vibrations in our boats with the newer 25T with the kicker bracket we use. Its just shakes more. They seem more reliable on the start

Last edited:
redram99, I put a Yamaha T25 on my boat 4 years ago and it has made a world of difference.

When I'm offshore trolling on the Hwy in the afternoon when the wind is blowing 25 mph I can turn into it and maintain my 3 mph trolling speed.

I use to have my T9.9 maxed out and still not going fast enough.

The 25" leg is a must on most boats.

The T25 is half the noise of the 9.9 as it is only at 1/4 throttle most times.

It really doesnt matter as your at such low RPMS do have a buddy who has a 25 4 stroke in great condition if your interested have no clue on it being 2 or 3 cyl?
let me know and pm me and ill send you his info
Will send ya a message roy

Hi All
Looking for input from owners of the 25-30hp class of outboards as kickers.
I am not really brand loyal, but do lean towards merc!
They are in short supply at this point but i am on wait lists for a merc 25, Suzuki 25 and tohatsu 30.
There are 25hp Yamaha avail, but I am concerned with it only being a 2 cylinder vs the other offerings being 3 cylinders.

Weight is not an issue.

I appreciate your thoughts.
thanks.
I am researching electric, more pricey but imagining trolling with no sound until I have to fire up the genset when I run out of battery power. Compact, 100lbs, never needs service, optional high thrust prop available and equivalent to a 50HP outboard. Price is about $20,000.00 CDN. Check out purewatercraft.com

Attachments

• emotor.jpg
    emotor.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 60
I thought I would bring resurrect this thread as I got word from Tohatsu on the New 25 and 30 D models that will be here late summer early fall. 3 cylinder 25s and 30s coming in at 128lbs to start. Ultra quiet. I don't have the data yet, however I would guess if you add 25inch extension and power trim would come in with an additional 10lbs. 20 amp charging circuits to boot. Kinda neat

I went with a 20hp Tohatsu to get me through the summer.
I don’t have it installed yet, so not sure on performance.

If needed I’ll be upgrading to the new 25 or 30.

Two friends have 25 HP Tohatsu/ Nissan kickers on there boats. Quiet some times you forget they are on. Have got us out of trouble a couple of time when we hit ropes floating in the water and wrapped up main engine. Always reliable. I'm putting one on my boat.

I've got 4 on the way. Not sure when they will be here, however I'm at the bottom of the backorder list. My guess is September

I believe the 25hp has the computer and realtime information such as speed, hours and self diagnostics. They are considered main motors but some boats use them as kickers. Had 20hp tohatsu and it was great. A 20/25 is no brainer when it comes to engine longevity and will surely wear better than a 9.9 at the higher end. It is a good investment because you can really just run the main 1 hour to the fishing area and virtually put no wear on the main.

Back