ROE HERRING INFORMATION BULLETIN: 31

DATE: March 10, 2022

STRAIT OF GEORGIA

AREA 13
Okisollo to Deepwater Bay-----Not assessed
Hoskins Ch. to Breton Is------Not assessed
Heriot Bay to Francisco Pt----Mar 9: 375 tons
Marina Reef to Cortes Pt------Mar 10: 650 tons
Test: Mar 10 on 200 tons at Smelt Bay. 0.0%; 15.7cm; 0.0m:3.5f; 0-0-4-202-13; (0.0:45.9).
Test: Mar 10 on 250 tons at Hidalgo Pt. 0.1%;14.4cm; 7.5m:5.0f; 3-0-2-149-238; (2.5:25.0).

Total Area 13: 1,025 tons (assessment incomplete)

AREA 14
Shelter Pt to Cape Lazo-------Mar 7: NFF
E.C. Denman Island------------Mar 9: 200 tons
Test: Mar 1 on 300 tons at Lower Komas Bluffs. 10.8%;19cm; 58.8m:53.5f; 51-0-2-0-0; (21.1:88.9).
Lambert Ch. to Chrome Is------Mar 10: 100 tons
Test: Mar 2 on 450 tons at Eagle Rock. 12.2%;19.7cm; 44.3m:45.0f; 43-1-1-0-1; (28.6:111.2).
E.C. Hornby Is----------------Mar 9: 750 tons
Tribune Bay/Lower Hornby------Mar 10: 200 tons
Upper Baynes Sd---------------Mar 8: 200 tons
Test: Feb 28 on 100 tons at Longbeak Point. 11.0%;19.6cm; 66.5m:44.8f; 45-0-0-0-0; (24.7:90.0).
Test: Feb 28 on 300 tons in Upper Baynes / Range Marker. 11.3%;18.6cm; 64.8m:52.5f; 51-0-2-0-0; (22.0:85.3).
Lower Baynes Sd---------------Mar 8: 100 tons
Test: Feb 28 on 350 tons at Metcalf Bay. 9.0%;18.2cm; 63.3m:38.8f; 45-4-3-0-4; (20.0:84.3).
Mapleguard to Nile Cr---------Mar 10: 250 tons
Nile Creek to French Cr-------Mar 10: 75 tons
French Cr to NW Bay------------Mar 9: 340 tons

Total Area 14: 625 tons (assessment incomplete)
Peak Estimate Area 14: 64,500 tons (assessment incomplete)

AREA 15
Sarah - Lund------------------Mar 10: 1,200 tons
Lund - Atrevida---------------Mar 10: NFF
Atrevida - Mill---------------No recent soundings
Myrtle Rks. - Albion Pt-------Not assessed
Mill - Myrtle Rocks-----------No recent soundings
Test: Mar 3 on 150 tons at Powell River pulp mill. 5.0%;16.6cm; 39.3m:40.0f; 30-0-10-92-24; (16.9:51.2).
Albion Pt - Scotch Fir--------Not assessed
S. of Scotch Fir--------------No recent soundings
Vananda - Favada Pt-----------Not assessed
Savary Island-----------------Mar 10: 100 tons
Harwood Island----------------Mar 10: 50 tons
Test: Mar 2 on 175 tons on North side of Harwood Island, 8.7%;18.2cm; 49.3m:56.7f; 49-0-7-45-0; (17.7:66.4).

Total Area 15: 1,350 tons

AREA 17 NORTH
Dorcas Pt/Schooner Cove-------Mar 10: 1,055 tons
Inner Nanoose-----------------Mar 10: NFF
Outer Nanoose-----------------Mar 10: NFF
Blunden to Neck Point---------Mar 9: NFF
Neck Pt to Dodd Narrows-------Mar 10: 375 tons
Flattop Isle./Thrasher Rk.----Not Assessed

Total Area 17N: 1,430 tons (assessment incomplete)

AREA 17 SOUTH
Upper Stuart------------------No recent soundings
Lower Stuart------------------Mar 7: 540 tons
Pylades Channel---------------No recent soundings
Porlier Pass------------------No recent soundings
Trincomali Channel------------Mar 7: 760 tons
Test: Mar 7 on 200 tons at Spotlight Cove. 0.1%;19cm; 0.5m:2.0f; 1-0-2-128-24; (10.0:65.7).

Total Area 17S: 1,300 tons (assessment incomplete)

AREA 18
Plumper Sound-----------------Not assessed
Swanson Channel---------------Not assessed
Captains Pass-----------------Mar 7: 100 tons
Satellite Channel-------------Mar 7: 1,560 tons

Total Area 18: 1,660 tons (assessment incomplete)

TOTAL STRAIT OF GEORGIA: Assessment and tonnage estimates are incomplete.
Peak Estimate Strait of Georgia: 74,255 tons (assessment incomplete)

The DFO charter test vessel Denman Isle commenced a 27 day charter on February 20. Denman Isle assessed the Quadra Island area yesterday evening and conducted a test set in the Cortes Island area this morning. Denman Isle will work south today along the mainland shore and return to the Vancouver Island side tomorrow. The DFO on-grounds Resource Management charter vessel Viking Leader commenced a 15 day charter on February 24; the charter concluded today. Viking Leader assessed from French Creek south to Nanaimo. Industry test vessel Viking Cavalier assessed from Lower Lambert south along the Vancouver Island shore to NW Bay area. Cavalier plans to continue south towards Nanaimo tomorrow.

The commercial roe Herring seine fishery opened in Area 14 at 04:00 hrs on March 3, 2022 (see FN0178). The validated catch is 818.286 tons of the 832.571 ton catch target. The seine fishery closed March 5 at 14:00 hrs (see FN0196). Seine fishing efforts targeted the Lambert Channel, Chrome Island, and Scallop Farm areas.

Effective 08:30 hrs Saturday March 5, 2022 and until further notice, portions of Areas 14 and 17 are open to Gulf licensed roe herring gillnets (see FN0195). The estimated catch to date is approximately 3,475 tons of the 6,788.44 ton catch target. The gillnet fleet is looking for opportunities.

FSC HARVEST ACTIVITY
Please be advised that Tla'amin Nation has FSC bough placements set at the northern tip of Denman Island (46.36.803 N, 124.49.882 W). Fishermen are reminded to maintain 100 meter distance and reduce speed while transiting nearby any FSC Herring spawn harvest operations.

The gulf commercial herring fishery is a bust this year so far. Not encouraging as it seems a lot of fish didn’t spawn in traditional areas, at least so far. The spawns that did occur around Deman etc while they looked encouraging from actual photos didn’t hold much catchable fish. The current test boats not finding any significant bodies of fish at this time likely means they are not here. A bit of head scratching occurring right now.

The gulf commercial herring fishery is a bust this year so far. Not encouraging as it seems a lot of fish didn’t spawn in traditional areas, at least so far. The spawns that did occur around Deman etc while they looked encouraging from actual photos didn’t hold much catchable fish. The current test boats not finding any significant bodies of fish at this time likely means they are not here. A bit of head scratching occurring right now.
Yikes. Ya nothing that I can see close to shore around Nanaimo.. last year was a zoo right about now.

The real question in area 14 is where did the over 65,000 tons assessed earlier on by the test boats go? Less that 5000 tons caught and not really massive spawns relative to historical spawning in Area 14.

Did they spawn in deeper water or were they a bunch of immature fish just along a small group of mature spawners for a practice run for the future?

I’ve had first hand knowledge of herring spawning and fishing in this area since 1969 and this year is unique so far. I’ve seen really late spawns in late March but usually by now the test boats have been sounding the schools for weeks as they just lay offshore ripening. Not hard to find, look for the birds and the fish are below.

Fingers crossed.

Worked driving commercial truck across gorge bridge frequently this month. Nobody fishing for herring. No bird activit.

Spent Saturday around the top of denman and cape lazo searching for herring. Lots of sea lions cruising back and forth, crystal clear waters but didn’t see a single herring or school on the sounder. (other than a 4’ diameter ball that birds were dove bombing in 300ft of water offshore from denman while we were jigging

Nothing around Victoria that I have heard of
Does anyone know if the run of spawners came up the Gorge this year. Nothing for years. Not like the good ole days when you could count on jigging a few off the Gorge or Craigflower bridge!

I got some last year March 10th off the Craigflower bridge, been meaning to go try it lately but haven’t. Those herring have amazing colours and I want some more.

OK it's early but the nets draped on the docks in False Creek in downtown Vancouver have hatched a bunch of eggs already; apparently the volunteers involved are going to transplant some eggs to Coal Harbour docks to see if it'll work there.
Do you know how I can get in touch with the organization these volunteers work for? I want to reintroduce herring to my area, to rebuild the stocks here.

I wonder if the massive fishery outside Nanaimo last year did some damage on the returns.
I am not aware of any “massive” fishery outside of Nanaimo last year. Are you referring to the commercial seine fishery in the late fall that typically occurs in November?

I am not aware of any “massive” fishery outside of Nanaimo last year. Are you referring to the commercial seine fishery in the late fall that typically occurs in November?
There were tons of commercial boats infront of Nanaimo last year at this time. Was really interesting to watch.

Nothing around Victoria that I have heard of
Does anyone know if the run of spawners came up the Gorge this year. Nothing for years. Not like the good ole days when you could count on jigging a few off the Gorge or Craigflower bridge!
Usually able to get some on the mouth of South Arm Fraser Nov to Feb but nothing this year. I was hoping the cut to 10% of estimate was a chance to grow the biomass but looks like the estimates were way over again but hopefully they will still come late.

There were tons of herring to be caught this time last year along the Neck Pt - Eagle Point shore in Nanaimo and everyone was catching them with dip nets, casting nets and Sabiki rigs. Also huge rafts of sea lions of 50-100 slightly further out. This year is worrying!

View attachment 76868
Lantzville to Neck point. March 10 2021
That was last springs gillnet fishery. It’s a small fishery in terms of actual production. Seine fisheries can be substantially larger but even those are literally being squeezed down to small amounts.

It would be nice to know what is actually happening with the science of herring. Some fisheries have substantial science behind them but I hear very little on herring.

Back