What's your dream gear?

Cool !! [8D] We will be launching at about 8:30, got to have at least a 5' tide to out of the marina, low slack is about 10ish at a 5.2'. Looks like it could be an OK kinda breeze for the next couple of days. I'm bringing 4 of my small square prawn traps maybe we could barrow 4 of the ladners? I'll have my own crab gear. Anything you want us to be bring give me a call.

pop swiss,

I'm not sure if Courtney and Shelly know anything about fishing but they are kind on the eyes.

Sir
I have that same set up but with a wooded rod I'm not sure I would have the guts to try it out. Years ago down here they use to use the penn 49 with similar pully system and stanless steel line for springers. ( I have a couple of them) The rods where really flexable. It was the time before downriggers and it seemed to work well to get down deep and zero strech line.:D

I bought a accurate reel last week down in San Diego and can't wait to try it. I still like my Shimano TLD reels and Penn internation reels they are pretty smooth too.

I don't know SIR.
We might have to start another forum section for recipes.
That sounds like a real fine dinner.
Just your usual fare, I presume.

Spent all winter perfecting a new crab cake recipe. Can't share that one till the end of the season though [8D]

Salmon Wellington with a Grand Marnier Mushroom Sauce.... Curried Side Spot Prawns in Puff Pastry..... Grilled Lamb Chops with a Mint Glaze served on Wasabi Mashed Potatoes.... Smoked Cedar Planked Salmon with Grilled Mango are all on the standard fare list [^]

I can barely hold the rod up it's so heavy, I can't imagine actually trying to fish with. It came as a gift that someone found in a garage sale.

May take it out and catch a few lings on it this summer just to be able to say I've fished with it.

Like to give it to the kids we take fishing in the summer just to see the look on their faces when they try to pick it up :D

Abu Garcia Workhorse Rod...Great feel..and I do love Islander reels.

I love my Islander, Shimano, Daiwa, and Trophy XL reels with their very forgiving one-way drags when I use 15- to 40-pound test main lines. After I customized the clicker on my Hardy Longstone so it's silky smooth, I can palm drag for ultimate control when using 4- to 12-pound test main line for light line salmon mooching.

Money's no object? Get a custom-made 11- to 14-footer from Hanson, House of Hardy, or Rich Make for mooching. For downrigging, almost any rod that will take the abuse will do, but you can't beat a nine-foot Lamiglas XCF 903 constructed of EGlass (no graphite) and 14 eyes to take the pounding.

Rods and reels are personal, put together an outfit that feels good, looks good, or is just plain "lucky." After all, you said "money is no object."

Lousy fisherman? Put in the time and learn all you can...we were all in your position at one time. My all-time favourite combo was a $14.99 Windex single action reel (yes I'm that old) and a no-name 10.5-foot all fibereglass rod of about the same price from Army and Navy...landed many a tyee before it fell overboard in Horseshoe Bay.

I prefer them because you have a direct connection with the fish. I usually crank my drag almost off and just palm the reel to create drag, no drag advantage just me directly connected to the fish. Not only do you get to see the line peeling off the reel, but you get to feel it also.

With a level wind you can set the drag and simply keep reeling until its at the boat. If the fish starts to run, you just stop picking up line, but you can still reel.

There's a reason some guide boats use them, they just put the rod in the guests hands and tell them to keep reeling until its in the net. Not a lot of skill involved IMO.

Can you explain why you prefer level winds to mooching reels? I know a lot of people love level winds, but I've never heard someone explain why?

Sure thing...I like levelwinds because:
1. Fish sometimes take a run at the boat and if you don't reel faster than the rate the fish is charging, then there is a chance that you can lose the fish.
2. We don't have as good of runs as you guys have up north so when I go fishing, I want to catch the one or two fish that I hook up with.
3. It's not called a knuckle buster for nothing...actually, i have used them and never had this problem myself.
4. With level winds you are still "connected" to the fish and can feel the fish head shake and run. That is what the drag setting and rod selection is for.
5. I grew up with them and they work for me.

I personally love fishing with single action reels as I enjoy the experience more BUT with braided line, good knots and a geared level wind rod you are going to loose a LOT less salmon to seals in our area. You don't get to "play" the fish as long, but you do get to keep your fish...

Anything under 15 pounds we can usually have in the boat in two to four minutes. Knock on wood I haven't lost a fish on a charter to seals in five years. Now that I"ve said that I'm gunno be jinxed for tomorrows charter.

Neighbour brought 19 to the boat today, THEY"RE BACK!!! Fingers crossed the wind stays away for tomorrow.

Back