What's your Best Brisket Recipe?

Islandgirl

I have one sitting the the freezer, locally raised. I have the following tools at my disposal.
Green Egg, Bradley smoker, Gas Smoker, BBQ, slow cookers, pressure cookers, etc

Thoughts?

Did one on the weekend, equal parts black pepper and Lawry's seasoning salt and just a bit of steak spice. Then in the smoker (apple wood) for about 4 hours 225 degrees, then wrapped it up in butcher wrap. Back in the smoker for another 1.5 hours then rest in the wrap for an hour. The picture is the next day when it's cold.

Attachments

• 20220529_150423.jpg
    20220529_150423.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Trim up the fat and put it aside
Rub with garlic, salt and pepper and let it sit over night wrapped up.
Bring the brisket to room temp and get the smoker set up and steady at 225. I like either apple wood or cherry.

Put the brisket on the smoker with two temp probes at each end. Smoke until the temp gets to 165. Remove, place on foil and add a little apple juice and place the trimmed fat on top and wrap it up, wrapping double. Put back in the smoker and smoke until 203 internal temp.

This is the trick I was told to do and it has made a difference. Place the foil wrapped brisket in a towel and place in a medium size cooler and let it rest until you are ready to enjoy. I have left it in the cooler for up to 4 hours and it is amazing!!

Lots of ideas and sky's the limit on trying different ways of cooking brisket. This is a good site that goes into all sorts of different ways of the salts, smoking, rubs etc.

Cheers

SS

The basics. Trim the Brisket(lots of youtube videos). Season with salt and pepper. Cook on whatever will provide smoke and a consistent 225ish. Once internal reaches 165 to 175 wrap in Butcher paper ideally. Tinfoil(Texas crutch) works as well. Pull Brisket at 203ish. Checking that it is nice and squishy. Tons of different tricks, variations etc. Have fun!

The basics. Trim the Brisket(lots of youtube videos). Season with salt and pepper. Cook on whatever will provide smoke and a consistent 225ish. Once internal reaches 165 to 175 wrap in Butcher paper ideally. Tinfoil(Texas crutch) works as well. Pull Brisket at 203ish. Checking that it is nice and squishy. Tons of different tricks, variations etc. Have fun!
Salt. Pepper. Smoke.
20220531_172938.jpg

Trim up the fat and put it aside
Rub with garlic, salt and pepper and let it sit over night wrapped up.
Bring the brisket to room temp and get the smoker set up and steady at 225. I like either apple wood or cherry.

Put the brisket on the smoker with two temp probes at each end. Smoke until the temp gets to 165. Remove, place on foil and add a little apple juice and place the trimmed fat on top and wrap it up, wrapping double. Put back in the smoker and smoke until 203 internal temp.

This is the trick I was told to do and it has made a difference. Place the foil wrapped brisket in a towel and place in a medium size cooler and let it rest until you are ready to enjoy. I have left it in the cooler for up to 4 hours and it is amazing!!

Lots of ideas and sky's the limit on trying different ways of cooking brisket. This is a good site that goes into all sorts of different ways of the salts, smoking, rubs etc.

Cheers

SS
Question ...Can I ask why would you need to add more smoke after you wrap it in foil or just add heat?

Question ...Can I ask why would you need to add more smoke after you wrap it in foil or just add heat?
Just using the smoker for heat. Some people claim the butchers paper allows smoke to penetrate.

I use a combo of these two recipes below. Only difference is that I push cloves of garlic into small cuts I've made with a paring knife into the meat evenly spaced apart, and I rub a thin layer of Siracha on the outside before applying the rub. I'll also add a bit of Cayenne to the rub as well.
and

Some guys will switch to the oven once the Brisket is wrapped
This is how I do it. I only have a Big Chief smoker. I smoke it in the BC for about six hours. Wrap it and throw it in a 250 degree oven until it's all jiggley, then in to a cooler for an hour or two to rest. Works good enough for me.
Best part is the house smells of bbq of a few days after.

Picked up a brisket on sale at Superstore.
Lathered one in dijon mustard and bbq sauce, used Stubbs BBQ rub then put garlic slices throughout the brisket. Let it sit in the fridge over night.
Smoked at 225 wirth apple and hickory chips for 7hrs. Internal temp hit 165 then wrapped it in tinfoil with apple and orange juice. Another 4 hrs at 225 to reach 203.

Took it out and wrapped it in a towel and let sit for two hours before carving it up.
Very very tasty and super juicy. Took all the left over juice and put it back in ziplock bags with the meat to let sit for a day before vac packing it.

At 3.99 a lb it cant be beat....plus the dog got about 3 lbs of fat that was carved off!

Going back today to grab 3 more. Under this Trudeau governement it will probably be 12.99lb in a few months....

Picked up a brisket on sale at Superstore.
Lathered one in dijon mustard and bbq sauce, used Stubbs BBQ rub then put garlic slices throughout the brisket. Let it sit in the fridge over night.
Smoked at 225 wirth apple and hickory chips for 7hrs. Internal temp hit 165 then wrapped it in tinfoil with apple and orange juice. Another 4 hrs at 225 to reach 203.

Took it out and wrapped it in a towel and let sit for two hours before carving it up.
Very very tasty and super juicy. Took all the left over juice and put it back in ziplock bags with the meat to let sit for a day before vac packing it.

At 3.99 a lb it cant be beat....plus the dog got about 3 lbs of fat that was carved off!

Going back today to grab 3 more. Under this Trudeau governement it will probably be 12.99lb in a few months....
Safeway 3.99 a pound now too if you don’t find anymore at superstore .

Even Costco had some on for cheap. I wonder if feed costs are making the farmers dump product.

Even Costco had some on for cheap. I wonder if feed costs are making the farmers dump product.
The market has been flooded for some time now as beef prices have been horrible. But I’m talking prices have been down for the last couple years. At times it’s not even worth to feed them. Crazy isn’t it, farmer can’t afford to raise the animal and we can’t afford to buy it, where’s the logic in that. Something very wrong in that system.

My personal take on it would be do to the prices people are backing off on buying and suppliers are getting a back log in product and have to unload it, getting ready for the summer push.

My Wife walked out of Safeway yesterday with 3 giant briskets! I am set for the summer!
It's funny, there's such a flood in the market that they're not even selling. Usually there would be elbows and fisticuffs but I'm seeing them all over. Everyone is out of freezer space.

Back