What's with the clipped coho?

Such a ridiculous policy.. the amount of fish that get injured or killed trying to find an elusive clipped fish is pathetic

Disagree. You sound like Greg Taylor from Watershed Watch Lol. There are plenty of marked coho out there right now in this area.

When fishing for anything there is mortality associated any fishing. Marked fishing has been going on for decades.

I think we can agree that all our fish in hatcheries needs to be marked more. As far as damage I would argue there isn't that much pressure on them right now. 80 percent of our sportfishing fleet in SOG is pretty much parked waiting for chinook retention.

Catch and release is practiced world wide.

Personally I think these are American fish passing through.

There are alot of hatchery coho programs between squamish and the little campbell. Can anyone count how many?

Not sure how many clip, however these are off the top of my head on coho hatchery enhanced rivers.

Squamish ditch up river cant remember the name
Cheakamus
Ashlu
Capilano
Seymour
inch creek
Vedder
Spius Creek
Chehalis
Chilliwack river
Nicklemackle
Little Campbell
Serpentine

Im sure theres plenty more

Last edited:
Disagree. You sound like Greg Taylor from Watershed Watch Lol. There are plenty of marked coho out there right now in this area.

When fishing for anything there is mortality associated any fishing. Marked fishing has been going on for decades.

I think we can agree that all our fish in hatcheries needs to be marked more. As far as damage I would argue there isn't that much pressure on them right now. 80 percent of our sportfishing fleet in SOG is pretty much parked waiting for chinook retention.

Catch and release is practiced world wide.

Personally I think these are American fish passing through.
Ya but why not decrease the mortality.. people spend hours catching and releasing fish to find a marked one.. if you could just catch your first two fish and be done there's no way you wouldn't save lives.. that goes for Chinook fishing as well. I unfortunately mutilate a lot of fish finding a marked coho or a spring in the slot limit.

Ya but why not decrease the mortality.. people spend hours catching and releasing fish to find a marked one.. if you could just catch your first two fish and be done there's no way you wouldn't save lives.. that goes for Chinook fishing as well. I unfortunately mutilate a lot of fish finding a marked coho or a spring in the slot limit.

Were asking for more MSF not less, I agree with you, that every area and fishery needs considerations. I just think the ask it todays DFO environment is probably a big ask and this if you have supporting DNA and documentation that exploitation wont increase on wild stocks of concern.

would have to push for maybe a trial fishery in the IFMP with the assumption that DNA will be collected.

even that may be met with a NO, because then will have to open it up for a First Nation fishery.

Were asking for more MSF not less, I agree with you, that every area and fishery needs considerations. I just think the ask it todays DFO environment is probably a big ask and this if you have supporting DNA and documentation that exploitation wont increase on wild stocks of concern.

would have to push for maybe a trial fishery in the IFMP with the assumption that DNA will be collected.

even that may be met with a NO, because then will have to open it up for a First Nation fishery.
I agree it would never fly.. I just think it's so ridiculous that they think this is a management strategy that will save stocks of concern, where in reality way more fish likely die as we all hunt for fish that fit the correct profile. In my opinion, either shut it down completely, or allow people to keep the first 1-2 fish they catch. It would satisfy their environmental agenda as well.. would likely save 70% on gas not trolling extra hours looking for the right fish.

I agree it would never fly.. I just think it's so ridiculous that they think this is a management strategy that will save stocks of concern, where in reality way more fish likely die as we all hunt for fish that fit the correct profile. In my opinion, either shut it down completely, or allow people to keep the first 1-2 fish they catch. It would satisfy their environmental agenda as well.. would likely save 70% on gas not trolling extra hours looking for the right fish.
That makes way too much sense.

So you catch your 12 inch coho and were i fish its 18 inch springs and your done and when you get your 10 springs you are done for the year. Not much point in having a boat.

This is why there has been a big push by SFAB to mark every hatchery raised fish and then go to a marked fish only retention fishery

Unofficial report from near Campbell River this weekend:

Friday. 15 in the boat, 6 hatchery
Saturday. 6 in the boat, 0 hatchery
Sunday. 7 in the boat, 4 hatchery

I think it's just luck of the draw. When I tried two weeks ago we couldn't find a single clipped.
I agree. We brought five to the boat yesterday and all were wild. The other boat that followed the same tack as us landed and bonked three. So, I guess they were all clipped.

Keeping your first 2 fish and moving on opens the door to High-Grading. A lot of meat fishing mentality out there.
Best thing you can do is get good at catch and release fishing. Use single barbless hooks and only net or touch fish you are keeping. This means losing a few beside the boat but no big deal. Treble hooks, tandem singles, trailer hooks... should be avoided. If you don't like the idea of weeding through some wild fish and enjoying fishing while you are harvesting some hatchery take homes, then you have the choice not to take part.

Keeping your first 2 fish and moving on opens the door to High-Grading. A lot of meat fishing mentality out there.
Best thing you can do is get good at catch and release fishing. Use single barbless hooks and only net or touch fish you are keeping. This means losing a few beside the boat but no big deal. Treble hooks, tandem singles, trailer hooks... should be avoided. If you don't like the idea of weeding through some wild fish and enjoying fishing while you are harvesting some hatchery take homes, then you have the choice not to take part.
Agreed. And check the fish that you’re catching to see if that single hook is too big and you’re getting them in the eye. I made up a bunch of white Glo hoochie rigs with 50 pound test and a single hook but some of the ones we kept did have some eye damage, so I’m gonna go to a smaller single hook.

But high-grading is essentially what 100% of anglers are doing right now. I still think there has to be a net benefit to allowing smaller sizes and even just one wild. Or some variation of that idea.

But high-grading is essentially what 100% of anglers are doing right now. I still think there has to be a net benefit to allowing smaller sizes and even just one wild. Or some variation of that idea.
Never happen. The Fraser tribes went ballistic years ago when the idea of allowing retention on 1 un clipped to cut down on the handling of so many fish

Never happen. The Fraser tribes went ballistic years ago when the idea of allowing retention on 1 un clipped to cut down on the handling of so many fish
Sounds like sound science there.

"They went balistic, soooooo"

Back