What's this boat worth?

If the motors are low hours and have been serviced properly they could run a long time...age is only a number. I would rather buy a low mile older car than a high mile newer. I'm still running a 26 year old two stroke (which I bought new) and have no plans to make a switch to a new 4 stroke. I haven't got my money out of it yet...lol

If the motors are low hours and have been serviced properly they could run a long time...age is only a number. I would rather buy a low mile older car than a high mile newer. I'm still running a 26 year old two stroke (which I bought new) and have no plans to make a switch to a new 4 stroke. I haven't got my money out of it yet...lol
But you have full knowledge of all maintenance done in your ownership. Walking into old motors without knowing what has been done, and what general level of care taken, that's a different story. Not saying it's an automatic repower, but there are systems there that have to be viewed as suspect, and budget allocated for remediation or replacement.

If I was buying something like this, I'd plan to do a major service on both units, regardless of what the seller says has been done. Then I know 100% certain what state things are in going forward. Spark plugs, water pump replacement, oil and fuel filters, carb clean/rebuild, leg oil. Fuel pump tests, possible rebuild. And replace all fuel lines in the hull.

Twins means all parts and labour x2. Definitely points toward DIY if possible. Even if everything checks out and they run well, needs a substantial price reduction to provide some cushion against all this baseline work needed for them to be reliable power for a new owner.

But you have full knowledge of all maintenance done in your ownership. Walking into old motors without knowing what has been done, and what general level of care taken, that's a different story. Not saying it's an automatic repower, but there are systems there that have to be viewed as suspect, and budget allocated for remediation or replacement.

If I was buying something like this, I'd plan to do a major service on both units, regardless of what the seller says has been done. Then I know 100% certain what state things are in going forward. Spark plugs, water pump replacement, oil and fuel filters, carb clean/rebuild, leg oil. Fuel pump tests, possible rebuild. And replace all fuel lines in the hull.

Twins means all parts and labour x2. Definitely points toward DIY if possible. Even if everything checks out and they run well, needs a substantial price reduction to provide some cushion against all this baseline work needed for them to be reliable power for a new owner.
Great points! Even if you have to do basic stuff like replace the water pumps, re-seal the lowers, there’s no guarantee the lowers will even come off. Ever tried to remove a lower when the driveshaft is seized into the crank? 🥴
That’s one small example. Old saltwater outboards are usually basket cases just from corrosion alone, even if they have perfect spark, compression and fuel.

Great points! Even if you have to do basic stuff like replace the water pumps, re-seal the lowers, there’s no guarantee the lowers will even come off. Ever tried to remove a lower when the driveshaft is seized into the crank? 🥴
That’s one small example. Old saltwater outboards are usually basket cases just from corrosion alone, even if they have perfect spark, compression and fuel.
Don't even talk about PTT units, any work needed on those will be problematic due to corrosion.

Don't even talk about PTT units, any work needed on those will be problematic due to corrosion.
My power tilt unit has never been apart, still original seals. Still original gearcase with just oil changes, impellers and annual never seize applied to lower bolts and driveshaft to powerhead splines every 2nd year.

Back