What's the best way to remove silcone off gelcoat?

Sir Reel

I am redoing my bow pulpit and have to remove the film of silicon that was underneath it. I can do the old fashion way of scrap and clean but was wondering if anyone has a trick to remove easier?
In the picture the entire square is a layer of clear silicone.

Attachments

• Bow Pulpit.jpg
    Bow Pulpit.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 263
Sir reel,
I'm a contractor. We use that product shown above plus a Citrus spray product from Industrial Plastics in Victoria. I think Crappy tire also sells the Citrus spray one too. A good trick used by my shower glass installer is plastic razor blades, He gets them from Lee Valley and I think industrial plastics. If you can't find them up there send me a PM and I will track some down and sent them Up to you

I use a razor blade with lots of glass cleaner sprayed as a lubricant, but be carefull if you do this, you dont want to slip or scratch the boat either,
once you have done it a few times you get the feel of it,
if theres any in the non skid area use a real stiff brush vigorously to remove

Thanks guys! I will try the silicone remover and we have an Industrial plastics in town so will see if I can get the plastic razor blades or Citrus spray.

What a great resource this forum is. Awesome help.
Its like having an expert on everything.

The plastic razor blades are excellent (and for many other projects). They come in two strenghts, one is a little softer. You can put them in any tools/scrapers that hold a standard metal blade, sized the same.

In the future, don't use silicone but rather other more easily removable (and better) sealants like Silkafkex for example. Silicone is my last choice of a sealant for a glass boat since it is such a PITA to remove completely.

1" strips of plexi glass sharpend on the end with a belt sander . I worked for 12 years in the fiberglass boat industry and that's all we used . Never scratches the gel like a razor blade

In the future, don't use silicone but rather other more easily removable (and better) sealants like Silkafkex for example. Silicone is my last choice of a sealant for a glass boat since it is such a PITA to remove completely.

The boat came that way with the Silicone. One of the reasons I am redoing. I will use Sikaflex or 3M 4200.

1" strips of plexi glass sharpend on the end with a belt sander . I worked for 12 years in the fiberglass boat industry and that's all we used . Never scratches the gel like a razor blade

That's a good idea. Interior plastics did not have the plastic razor blades in stock so will try that. Does Lexan work or just plexi glass?

The boat came that way with the Silicone. One of the reasons I am redoing. I will use Sikaflex or 3M 4200.
For stuff that is through bolted (where adhesion is not the goal) and which flexes a bit, I'd prefer Silkaflex. It's more flexible for a longer period of time. Also, if you're going to use a 3M product, I'd go with 4000 instead of 4200. 4000 is similar in most properties but has better UV properties and won't yellow as easily.

I'm assuming you're on the Island ?? I have lots of pieces of Lexan and Plexi I could cut into strips for you if you're on the mainland ? Would save you having to buy some

Thank you very much for the offer Revenge but I am in the interior. I do have pieces of both though

For stuff that is through bolted (where adhesion is not the goal) and which flexes a bit, I'd prefer Silkaflex. It's more flexible for a longer period of time. Also, if you're going to use a 3M product, I'd go with 4000 instead of 4200. 4000 is similar in most properties but has better UV properties and won't yellow as easily.
I understand what your saying however a fiberglass expert told me he always uses 4200 above the waterline and 5200 below. I have used Sikaflex and found it hard to deal with. Kind of stringy.
The 4200 leaves a nice smooth bead. However in this situation I think all the sealant will be hidden so Sikaflex may be the answer.
Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's help on this. Got the Silicone remover and the Citrus cleaner from Interior Plastics. They didn't have the plastic razor blades in stock so used the sharpened plexi glass as suggested.
Left the silicone remover on for 2 hours as directed and almost all came off easy. Finished up the with Citrus cleaner.
I will post a picture of my new bow sprit when done.
Dave

Back