What's happening with the Albion Test Fishery?

Your lillooet and Birkenhead peak out in the lower Fraser the first week of April.
Most of your stock composition after that till now will be Upper Nechako, Spius and Coldwater.
All of your 4-2/5-2 early timed Chinook stocks will be moving through the lower Fraser now.

Why we are still using the Albion which kills endangered stocks is still a mystery to me?
In this day and age there has to be a better way to do counts...like sonar.
All of the Albion catch gets sold for profit....

So.....some things to think about. While we all have been very opposed to killings of endangered Chinook by over 50 FN openings over the last few months, I think we also need to call DFO out for harvesting a stock of concern for research.

So far this year the test fisheries within the Fraser have killed almost a 1000 early timed Chinook. The stock that DFO has been trying to protect and implementing ******** closures up and down the coast on. In this day and age do we really need to be killing these springs for stock assessment? Or is it more about the sales that come from these test fisheries.
These fish that get caught fetch a very very good price.

Is it maybe time for things to change and actually make conservation a concern or is it about the $ these fisheries fetch?
At what point do we stop these fisheries?

I would rather have mediocre sonar counts than dead endangered springs being netted/sold used as research.

Back