What's happening to Used Victoria?

2xeagle16

I have been using UsedVictoria for many years. I went to place an add today and a “Facebook” login popped up. It appears you now have to join “Facebook” in order to use Used Victoria? And to join Facebook you have to upload a photo Id (drivers license I assume) of yourself!. Facebook has had many data breaches, Almost 7 million users have had their photos exposed to third party app developers. I’m just wondering what other people think about this change to Used Victoria.

I can browse without any login requirement.

I agree about concerns regarding FB. I don't have a FB account, but I have certainly noticed a strong trend for more and more sales being done through FB marketplace (vs Craigslist, UsedVic, etc). The other sites seem quite regional...UsedVic seems strong in Victoria. CL is strong in Vancouver. Kijiji seems popular in Alberta

I noticed they updated their software for the site and of course made it worse from a consumer perspective. The interface and filter options is not as good as it was. For example, you can still filter out commercial sales, but it is not as easy as it was, and it seems like you have to click on that option more often as you move from screen to screen.

When you pull up the site it now does the Please Consider Pausing Your Ad Blocker bit and makes you click on the Proceed to Site button, which is just another way to track and profile you.

Have not placed an ad there in many years, but I look at the site a lot. I hit the Place an Ad button (on a computer not a cell phone), and it gave me three option:

Continue with Facebook.

Continue with Google

Or sign in with your Email Address and Password, which I think is the old way of doing it if you are registered on the site. If you can't remember your password it gives you the option to re-register by double entering an Email address and a new password. I understand a lot of people have a throw away Email address that they only use for this kind of thing and do a lot of their more personal stuff on an Email address they want to keep more private. Responses to your ads will be sent to the throw away Email address.

So unless I am missing something you have the option of signing in with a Facebook or Google account, but you do not have to. It still gives you the option (at least for now) of signing in with the old Email address and password method. At least it did for me and with the way my browser is set up.

Last edited:
So unless I am missing something you have the option of signing in with a Facebook or Google account, but you do not have to. It still gives you the option (at least for now) of signing in with the old Email address and password method. At least it did for me and with the way my browser is set up.

Yup, what Rockfish said as you can see in the snip below.

1621633930705.png

If it wasn’t for Facebook and it’s profiling I wouldn’t know all sorts of interesting facts about myself. Like if I was a dog I would be a Yorkie or if I was a vegetable I’d be a butter nut squash. That’s a whole lot of important information non Facebook users are missing out on.

If it wasn’t for Facebook and it’s profiling I wouldn’t know all sorts of interesting facts about myself. Like if I was a dog I would be a Yorkie or if I was a vegetable I’d be a butter nut squash. That’s a whole lot of important information non Facebook users are missing out on.
Yes, and of course you will receive endless emails about people who want to be you're "friend"

I noticed they updated their software for the site and of course made it worse from a consumer perspective. The interface and filter options is not as good as it was. For example, you can still filter out commercial sales, but it is not as easy as it was, and it seems like you have to click on that option more often as you move from screen to screen.

When you pull up the site it now does the Please Consider Pausing Your Ad Blocker bit and makes you click on the Proceed to Site button, which is just another way to track and profile you.

Have not placed an ad there in many years, but I look at the site a lot. I hit the Place an Ad button (on a computer not a cell phone), and it gave me three option:

Continue with Facebook.

Continue with Google

Or sign in with your Email Address and Password, which I think is the old way of doing it if you are registered on the site. If you can't remember your password it gives you the option to re-register by double entering an Email address and a new password. I understand a lot of people have a throw away Email address that they only use for this kind of thing and do a lot of their more personal stuff on an Email address they want to keep more private. Responses to your ads will be sent to the throw away Email address.

Yes, I saw the option of logging in with email - I used my original password (that worked fine last week) and I couldn't get in. I just created a new account - it works now.

Back