What would you choose?

hambone

2005 honda 40hp 4stroke... 0 hours, no factory warranty.... Carburetor

2013 Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke... Approx 200hrs lease return, 1 year warranty.... EFI

Cost of install for the Yamaha is about $1k more expensive.

Any comments would be appreciated. I see both motors as decent options but thought I would ask the forum for any opinions.

These are two options I've come across for a re power.

Thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator:
Both good do you have any controls on your boat already? The honda is a 800cc and the yamaha is a 750cc. The efi is nice but they are both good motors. If you were to get water fuel carbs are more forgiving, I do like efi

Also yamaha has a much larger dealer network then yamaha. But Honda is a great quality motor

Honda controls on the boat.... Which is already factored into the honda motor being a grand cheaper

Go for the Honda, best motor I've owned.
keep the gas changed regularly, they don't like sitting for long
periods of time with old fuel in them.

Yep old gas bad for boats and if you run premium this fuel is ethanal free. Carbs don't like old fuel or sitting ethanal fuel. Can't go wrong with a honda

Thanks guys... I think I will be going with the Honda.

The previous motor was very very good to us, an early 90's Honda 45hp.

Great Choice...... I personally think until Yamaha starts covering problems, warranty issues, corrosion etc... Boaters should say no to their products. They need to restore the faith in purchasers and stop pushing us away and telling us no......

Back