What program do you use for Remote Desktop computer access?

Corey_lax

Crew Member
My wife's due date is on Monday so I'm planning on working from home for a couple weeks after today. I can get access to emails from my lap top but not all the files on my computer at work. Which program do you use for remote desktop? team viewer? I don't mind paying for a program. Just want something that works good and don't want to try out a bunch of programs until I find one that I like.

If the files don't need to be accessed by anyone else, get cloud subscription like Office 365 (One drive). Move you files to there and you can access from anywhere and any computer... If these are network shares then you should get some sort of a VPN (Virtual Private Network) appliance that will allow you to securely connect to your office network. From there you can access network resources from your home laptop or RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) into your workstation.

Are you using Windows? It's been a while since I had to remote access a PC (2005ish) , but at that time Microsoft RDC worked quite well. MS RDC used cached bitmaps of the OS and office suite to minimize lag over slow networks. This was a significant advantage over other VNC solutions.

One Drive, via Office 365 subscription. I can access all my real estate files anywhere in the world. Not a sales pitch but I ditched Google Drive and went all MS. I really like the accessibility. You would have to set it up though to work from home and have access this way.

Sorry I should have mentioned that I need access to programs as well as files. Which is why I want remote access. Some programs are quite costly per computer that I put them on

Sorry I should have mentioned that I need access to programs as well as files. Which is why I want remote access. Some programs are quite costly per computer that I put them on
I use RemotePC to access home PC from outside. Reasonable price per year. If you have a commercial grade firewall at the office. You may want to consider setting up VPN access and RDP to the work PC through VPN. Depending on your office security policies, you may have issues implementing your own solution. If you're the boss, you might be able to do what you want.

Corporately we run citrix infrastructure and have for years. If I wanted access at home then I would do exactly what dave said directly above.

When COVID first hit and I had to work from home, I used google Remote Desktop. It’s free and worked really well. The IT department of the company I worked for suggested it. You can use any computer and it basically mirrors your work computer. Super easy to setup and you have access to all your work computer programs. Couple downsides wasn’t able do multi screen and sometimes lagged, and cannot print your work computer stuff. Overall was a good temp solution. Was able to do all my estimating work.

Back