What is an easy way to cut salmon skin (for making strips of candy)

ohh interesting! dehydrating..I have to get a bradley or figure out a homemade cold smoke system.

recipes are so different I know sugar is a preservative and salt the cure. I thought you would have to have a certain amount of salt. Some recipes have soo much. I wonder how people can eat it. Mabey I have been using to much dry brine. Thanks![/QUOTE ]

Make sure you are comparing apples with apples-this thread was talking about "candy" which in my recipe calls for 3 to 4 DAYS in the brine mixture whereas my smoked salmon recipe is only an 8 to 12 hour brining and the proportions are totally different. Remember we are not really making smoked fish in the truest sense of the word-it is not done to preserve rather only for taste so you can adjust your salt to your taste. We are really making bar-b-que salmon with a smoked taste. It should have refrigeration to preserve it. Without refrigeration I think most peoples smoked salmon would last only a little longer than a piece of regularly cooked salmon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a high-end pair of utility scissors is waaaay better then a knife for cutting up fish. I found a pair on the river bank once---some Quilleyute Indians had been butchering some fall chinook from a drift net operation.

I remember thinking---scissors--WTF would they be using scissors for?

Those scissors are now my most valuable tool for fish prep---they go with me everywhere. Cutting skin, trimming off ventral and dorsal fins from a fillet, trim pin bones before vac-packing so you don't get "leakers"....cutting up fillets for the smoker----the list goes on and on

Back