What gps/chrt plotter to buy

tinboatrobb

I am looking to buy a chart plotter for under 500$. So far the Garmin 441 has been recommended to me. Any other thoughts or opinions on what and where
to buy. This will go on my 14.6 Lund aluminum. Thanks.

Garmin 500 series, easy to use, reliable, I have a 526 and love it. It is a GPS plotter/ sounder get the coastal chip u wont be disappointed.

Just bear in mind that with the small screen size, trying to run split screens is a waste of time. If you don't mind toggling back and forth between plotter and sonar, it's a good deal. A lot of people end up buying separate GPS and sonar units though.

I have a garmin fish finder but want a chart plotter also. The 421S has quite a small sqreen. The 441 looks a little bigger.

I run separate units, If one goes down, at least you can keep fishing
Ditto, I like having them stand alone units, although my lowrance 4M is small with a three inch screen it is all I need, came with the gold map chip and it was only 300 TBR.... if it is just for a small boat it is all you need..I run Navionics coastal Canada chart and it works excellent.

Have a look at the Elite 4 from Lowrance. Comes with the gold chip as well and under $500. Pretty sweet little unit for a smaller boat.

I run the Elite 4M on my boat.

Small screen but you can "zoom" in on locations which helps.

It came with a navionics gold "promotional package" chip. Which is not quite as good as the extra-bucks standalone chip. Still it's not too bad if you're not overly fussy about detail.

Space was the major consideration for me........if I had the room I would immediately go bigger screen with the better chip.

Still thinking about how to get a bigger one in my limited space.

I, like others, like the finder and gps units separate. as others stated , if one goes down the other still works.

i was at West Marine today browsing and they have a Lowrance Elite 5 Gold for 399$. It comes with the gold chip. I quite like the 5 inch screen. Yes I know there are 2 different GOLD chips and that the really detailed one is about 200$. The one with the unit looks good and should be all i need for Southern Vancouver Island. I have one saved for me as they will be in stock this week. Anyone have this unit????

A buddy of mine bought one recently.Same store,same price.Had some trouble navagating the menus which didn't
surprise me at all since he's totally computer illiterate.He even has trouble using a cell phone lol!Went over to his place to help him figure it out and found it to be very easy to operate.As you mentioned,it doesn't have super detail,but other
than that I really liked the unit.

Back