What fuel economy are you getting?

Sangstercraft

I'd love to scale up to a bigger boat but don't know if I can justify the extra gas spend ($1.70/L at the dock!). What size boat/engine are you running and what's the fuel economy?

I run a 22' Hewescraft (aluminum) with a 135 hp main. At 4500 rpm I estimate 30 L / hr. This is at about 35 kph/ 22 mph/ 19 knots. 3mpg-ish. Definitely varies a lot with the rpm's.

I have a 26' boat with a 300 HP verado. I run around 4000-4100 RPM and burn between 10-11 GPH( 37-40LPH) and cruise between 21-26 knots depending on sea conditions.

I'm sure all you boaters know this already (and other posters have been quite accurate in describing their speeds/rpm already) - but getting your boat up on plane and backing it off until it almost drops back down - and then keeping it just above this rpm - usually gives you the best gas mileage. The exact rpm depends upon your boat build and weight and the engine size and other environmental variables (wind, waves, etc.) - but usually is in the 3200-3600 range or so (22-24 kts, often) - and definitely NOT red-lining it @ 4500-5000 rpm and ~30-34 kts - almost doubles the gas consumption in many boats. Some of my buddies are in quite a rush to spend $ lots on gas. I'm not - not unless it's getting dark - or you're going to miss the tide, or something important. 30L/hr/engine is quite reasonable IMHO...

I'm sure all you boaters know this already (and other posters have been quite accurate in describing their speeds/rpm already) - but getting your boat up on plane and backing it off until it almost drops back down - and then keeping it just above this rpm - usually gives you the best gas mileage. The exact rpm depends upon your boat build and weight and the engine size and other environmental variables (wind, waves, etc.) - but usually is in the 3200-3600 range or so (22-24 kts, often) - and definitely NOT red-lining it @ 4500-5000 rpm and ~30-34 kts - almost doubles the gas consumption in many boats. Some of my buddies are in quite a rush to spend $ lots on gas. I'm not - not unless it's getting dark - or you're going to miss the tide, or something important. 30L/hr/engine is quite reasonable IMHO...
funny you mention this, and i believed for a long time..... but with my flowscan i monitor mpg i it really does not change much from 20knt to 30knt always around 3.4-3.5

now it is quality of ride determines the speed i go, and passenger comfort level

Here's a cut and paste from an old post of mine: "Tofino to beyond Hot springs and back was 66nm. Filled up with 57 liters."

Mostly flat water on that trip. What is a gallon? Does a flow scan use Imperial or US gallons?
I have a 17' whaler with a 50hp tiller and a 15 hp kicker.
May not move up in size the way opportunities shrink as other costs rise.

I'm going to assume you guys with your "gallons" numbers are buying your fuel in the states. Which would work out to 3.78 litres per gallon.

26’x 10’2” Commander with twin 200 Suzuki’s gets its best economy at around 27-28MPH, 4200 rpm, 2.25MPG. I run anywhere in between 26 and 36 MPH and the worst I’ve seen is around 1.7-1.8MPG. This is with a full fuel tank but not a ton of stuff on the boat. Also pretty calm water.

I'm going to assume you guys with your "gallons" numbers are buying your fuel in the states. Which would work out to 3.78 litres per gallon.
No it's just a common measurement to use when talking fuel consumption in boats. Industry standard kinda thing?

Here's a cut and paste from an old post of mine: "Tofino to beyond Hot springs and back was 66nm. Filled up with 57 liters."

Mostly flat water on that trip. What is a gallon? Does a flow scan use Imperial or US gallons?
I have a 17' whaler with a 50hp tiller and a 15 hp kicker.
May not move up in size the way opportunities shrink as other costs rise.
Pretty sure the flow meters on my twin 150 Merc 4 strokes are in US gallons.

I burn 10 gals per hr @ 24 - 26 knots and 11 on tuna trips when I’m really loaded down with ice on the way out and tuna on the way in.

Pretty sure the flow meters on my twin 150 Merc 4 strokes are in US gallons.

I burn 10 gals per hr @ 24 - 26 knots and 11 on tuna trips when I’m really loaded down with ice on the way out and tuna on the way in.
"By the way did I mention I catch Tuna like a champ" :cool:

28' weldcraft with twin 225 merc verados. Full of fuel, gear and 2 to 3 people on board I'm right around 6400lbs. At 4000-4200 rpm I'm cruising at 28-30 knots and burning usually around 16-17 GPH.
At 3000 rpm I'm cruising at 20 knots and burning around 11 GPH.
If I'm feeling stupid and go WOT at 6000 rpm I'm surfing at 46 knots and burning around 47 GPH. No I don't go WOT ever (anymore) lol.

Last edited:
Back