What are the best Lower Mainland Marine shops for electronics?

Angelina_Summer

I've owned my boat for just over a year now and have only had to add fishing gear (Berry's, Army & Navy, Crappy Tire) and maintenance fluids/zincs (Crappy Tire and a Mercury shop in Maple Ridge). Now I'm looking at adding and upgrading my electronics. I picked up a fixed mount VHF from West Marine for a good price thanks to a sale + coupons. I was wondering though if I'm still not getting the best deal and still over paying at West Marine.

Anyone want to share their local finds for deals on marine electronics? Lower mainland please unless the prices are too good even after shipping.

Nikka.hands down.Most knowledgeable helpful and competitive and no I have absolutely no affiliation

Harbor chandler in nanaimo, call and talk to Mike everything is just a quick overnight greyhound away and most of the time shipping is free, you will not find better support or pricing anywhere else and if your looking for anything lowrance Mike is the guru

Harbor chandler in nanaimo, call and talk to Mike everything is just a quick overnight greyhound away and most of the time shipping is free, you will not find better support or pricing anywhere else and if your looking for anything lowrance Mike is the guru
fully agree. Just upgraded my gps to an HDS-8 and Mike saved me hundreds. For the island definitely HC. For the LML, if you need local support, Nikka.

Nikka.hands down.Most knowledgeable helpful and competitive and no I have absolutely no affiliation

Says the guy who can't turn the lights on in his cuddy.

Roton on Granville Island....Ken will match and then beat any price.

The only 2 places I deal with is Mike & Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo or Paul & Trevor at Trotac Marine. I find that West Marine is fairly pricing in my opinion.

I just called N'$$a and they were $100 higher than most on the elite 7hdi golds.

Depends on what you are looking for. If it's high end stuff....pass on local retailers.

I buy direct from the States...and have them ship it. Done that twice now on importing stuff and KILLED the local guys.

I have tried negotiating with some of the local guys named here...they can't touch US pricing.

^ Agree, buy out of province... However, dollar being what it is right now, I actually purchased from GPScity.ca and got the same price, yet in Canadian Dollars!

Sure, I paid GST, but the CAD to USD conversion would've killed me spending $1400 on an 820xs, not to mention shipping and probably duty! That would hurt!

Says the guy who can't turn the lights on in his cuddy.
yuk yuk yuk. ​ Disclaimer: Pip has never been in my boat and certainly NOT invited into the cuddy, no matter how hard he begs. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
The service at the Harbour Chandler is outstanding. Prices are great too. They are in Nanaimo but like others have posted, shipping is cheap.

Just picked up a new Raymarine unit from Chris at Inlet Marine. Great guy to deal with and great price!

I saved $75 on my Garmin maps buying from GPS City. If my memory is correct they are here in Canada so no issues with duty.

My advice is -buy local. If your in Van then Nikka or a place like that. Where you can go back and ask questions and they give a sh** because they sold it to you.
Also don,t buy complicated gadgetry that you don,t use. In my mind, nothing worse than a fisherman , head down, trying to figure put how to use electronics while they pile into other fisherman and miss "fish sign" all around them.
Drives me crazy. Big screen, the fewest functions. Thats it.

Back