What age do people start talking there kids salmon fishing?

I’m thinking about bringing my 3 y/o boy salmon fishing. I’ll probably go in front of Victoria on a calm day. I have a 16’ glascraft. Super sturdy in the ocean. Reliable motor. Brand new kicker. I plan to just putt out slowly on the kicker and drop in the lines when I get out past the kelp.

Just wondering what age other people start bringing their kids (without another adult on board)? And how it’s gone?

Thanks

Just seen this in the Vancouver Sun.

Father-daughter fishing tradition thrives with solid sockeye run on the Fraser
Each summer since she was four-years-old, Kirsten Jantunen has cherished days on the boat with her dad Roy.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...-thrives-with-solid-sockeye-run-on-the-fraser

Once thing to keep in mind, kids that age, have short attention spans and you will need to find ways to occupy their time when fishing is slow. Be sure to pack some TP for the inevitable bathroom routines...

Also, it goes without saying, life jackets are mandatory - for both son and Dad.

I started my two kids at 3 but with trout fishing at local Vic lakes.
I always brought a bag of chips, a colouring book and some crayons for when it was slow.
I didn’t get a long run out of them, 90 minutes to two hours was about enough for them. These kids are girls btw. One who’s 24 now will occasionally go fishing with me, the other, she’s 16 and still likes fishing with the old man and comes along often.

My kids have all been on the water since they were born. Started fishing in a 20ft harbourcraft and have upgraded as our family has grown. Our youngest was born May 30th and was on the water July 10th. The key to fishing with kids is short trips and lots of snacks. If it's possible to break the day up by getting on shore for an hour or so then this will help you stretch out your day. I've got 3 kids (6,4,2) and they've all grown up on the water. For them it's just a way of life. We introduced my older kids to jigging for rockfish this summer and they loved it. It has really saved some slower days for us.

407A81B6-25B4-42AB-A176-14944331C613.jpeg My boy has been on the pretty much since birth, think we had him in the boat after 2 months. For him it’s just a way of life, my wife is just as die hard so that’s how that worked out. We also upgraded to our current pilot house boat so that also made it possible to be out there with such a young baby and momma. Funny now the boy is 6 and on a few real rough white knuckle type runs I’ve popped the cubby cabin door to check on him and he’ll be just lounging super chill.

Last edited:
I started around 3. Back then all we had was a 12' aluminum. We'd fish Francisco pt off Quadra for a good part of the summer and I'd wedge myself between the forward seat and the bow and sleep most of the day waking up every once and awhile to see how many fish we caught. It progressed from there. My own son had a trout rod in his hand by two and he has never looked back. At 20 he is a far better fishermen than me. I had the privilege of fishing with my other son and my father last week for sockeye. I dont think any age is too early just be aware of everyone's limitations and be safe.

Good luck and have fun

IMG_1890.jpg Oh man, i would have no problem starting early. I had mine on a boat in fresh water at ~18 months. First time on ocean at ~3 yrs.

My kids now are 5 & 6.5 yrs old. They love it on the boat & will spend a solid 12hrs on it. If they get tired they just fall asleep somewhere

Start them off early!

Started my daughter as soon as she started walking. Bought **** for her to play with and coloring books and a blanket and pillow. When she was tired she curl up under the dash and go to sleep. Like others have said they get bored when there is no action. My daughter is now 26 and loves to come fishing and that's the greatest thing in the world to me that she still loves to come out with the old man. The one thing that I have always done with any kids is teach them how to drive the boat early. Not so much as how to dock, but how to start and stop the boat, how to use the VHF you never know if there is going to be a emergency and something happens to you. The younger you teach them that stuff the better. I saw a guy off Secretary one day have a heart attack with 3 kids on board that didn't know anything except to yell at other boats not a good scene. You teach them that it is not a game and it makes them part of the crew.

Last edited:
Like most I started taking them at around 3. They are 8 and 11 now and really enjoy going and letting me troll much longer now. They now understand sometimes fishing is slow. When they get bored now we will pull the gear and go jig for some action or pull the traps. Both my kids live all summer at the dock and I couldn’t be happier about that. Good points made about lots of snacks when they are young...something about fishing that makes them hungry. Lol. I really like Casper’s comments on teaching about the boat. Both my kids know the routine for lifting and putting the motors down....starting them and of course understanding putting the the boat in F and R and most important Neutral. They know if something happens to me they need to be able to get the boat back even if it’s not a perfect docking at the end. So I say get them out as early and as safely as possible and you and your kids we never forget the time in the boat.

Started my daughter fishing at the age of 5. Could cast like a pro in a week. She’s 28 now and still regularity out fishes her boyfriend and he’s from Sechelt. Lol.

I took mine since they were really small, but they really start to enjoy it and participate at age 4+. Crabbing, prawning is really fun for the smaller kids. My 8 year old jigs now and is a pro at netting larger fish. I would definitely reccomend using smaller level wind reels and shorter rods for the little guys.

Had my son on the boat when he was about 6 months. Sometimes it worked out pretty good and he would sleep but other times was pure hell and he was not into it at all. Just have to be willing to spin around at any time if things fall apart.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Great advice. I actually have two three year old boys (twins) but I don’t think I’ll bring them both at the same time....yet unless my wife or a buddy comes.
Definitely life jacket for both of us! Good point Casper. If I’m bringing them out there they need to be able to help themselves if something were to happen to me.
My boys love to spend time on the boat in the driveway so it’s time to get them out on the water.

A tip from a friend was to bring a bucket of rocks out for fishing with a toddler so they can toss them out of the boat. Better than trying to toss my flashers overboard like he did on the first trip.

Yes, teach them young all about the boat and how to handle it. When they are really young they listen to you and will do as you tell them. I've tried with teenagers but they know everything and don't really listen.
I once had a friends daughter about 10 and my daughter 5 take me water skiing for 3 days before all the other family and friends came up for the weekend. Once all the other family were there, the 10 year old's older brother and friends were going to tow the skiers and it was my time to ski. Of course he's impressing his buddy's and not watching what's going on and leaves to much slack in the tow rope so I tell him to go ahead and he rips my arms off because he's not watching and thinks I said hit it. Of course I'm pissed off threw the rope at him and told his little sister to tow me around the lake. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. I got her and my wife in the boat and she pulled me like a champ. All because she listened and wasn't trying to show off. Even her parents didn't know I taught her how to drive the boat. Every person that comes on a boat should know how to drive and work the equipment on board. It's for the safety of everyone, they don't need to learn how to dock or put it on the trailer just to get it to safety and call for help.

I fish solo with my 2 boys a lot, and have for years. They are 11 and 13 now. I strongly suggest if anyone is fishing solo with kids to invest in a Spot type unit, or get a VHF radio with DSC emergency capabilities.....and show them how to clearly use it if an emergency happens. And as Casper notes, teach them early and give them an opportunity to learn. I wouldn't trade fishing with my kids for anything.

Back