What about using two plugs in tandem?

Greetings all,

I remember reading somewhere about using two plugs in tandem when trolling for Chinook. A smaller one in front being "chased" by a larger one 6" below. Only the trailer plug has a hook or hooks on it.

Anyone have any feedback on this method?

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

CA,
The story was (as I remember it) that it looked like a big bait fish chasing a smaller one. I suppose it would give off more vibrations in the water, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of losing my gear "twice" as fast by rigging up two plugs.

I tried it one off Sooke but can't really say how it worked since none of the rods on the boat (using chovies) were catching anything either.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Hi Alexievich,

I first learned of this method about 20 years ago from the originator of Tomic Plugs, Mr. Tom Moss, at a seminar he gave at the Colwood Petrocan. I have used this method, while trolling for cutthroats in Lake Cowichan, with success. I haven't given it a whole lot of time when chasing springs though (I generally fish Sooke waters and cut-plug). Might be worth an experiment in an area such as Renfrew or Bamfield, where there is a better than average chance of hooking some fish. I don't see why it wouldn't work, as it's a pretrty natuaral looking presentation and like I said earlier, it does catch fish.

Seafood, it eat, then catch more.

TT, Most definately. For the Cowichan, I use a wee tad in front of a 3" tomic. Both plugs are "frog" color. Place them about six inches apart wit a bead and toothpick holding the wee tad in place.

This sounds interesting but what happens when the fish hits the front plug? Do you find that it happens often? I do like the idea so just asking.

TT: No hook on the front plug. On a wee tad, the hook and plug come separate, just run your line through the hole provided with a bead stopper below the top plug.

For bigger rigs (chasing salmon), you can use the 3" tomic out front with the same or larger plug trailing. Some larger plugs come with a separate hook on a swivel much like the wee tads, but if not, you can modify the front plug by removing the wire that passes through the plug, this will leave a hole to pass the line through. Of course, you won't be able to tie a mainline or hooks directly to this plug anymore. You might want to consider searching swap and shops for old plugs so that you're not tearing apart a $10.00 plug for something that you are modifying. Also, with all the prism tapes etc. available on the market these days, color won't be an issue when buying old plugs to modify, just whether or not they track properly.

They look rather cool in the water, make sure that you run them just far enough apart so that each plug supplies it's own action. You don't want the large rear plug dictating what the front plug is doing, yet they have to be close enough together, so that they look as if the larger is chasing the smaller.

Yote: I don't know if I've ever had anything hit the top plug (probably did, but can't say for sure) and don't really see any reason why they wouldn't hit it. It's all bait, right.

Back