What about the Big one's?????

HI ALL. Just a little confused!!!!! [?]

Im new to prawn fishing & nead some input into this question. I throw all the pregnent prawns back. Is this retarded? Will they survive & still be able to reproduce? I see lots of fishers at the dock, they have lots of pregnant prawn's & bias answers to this question. I nead to no if I'm throughing the big one's back for nothin[:0]!!!! Any feedback muchly apreciated.
THANX LOT'S.

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

quote:Originally posted by Gone Fishen

HI ALL. Just a little confused!!!!! [?]

Im new to prawn fishing & nead some input into this question. I throw all the pregnent prawns back. Is this retarded? Will they survive & still be able to reproduce? I see lots of fishers at the dock, they have lots of pregnant prawn's & bias answers to this question. I nead to no if I'm throughing the big one's back for nothin[:0]!!!! Any feedback muchly apreciated.
THANX LOT'S.

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

Last year, I got stopped while pulling Prawn traps in Tahsis Inlet by DFO. They were checking the traps in the area for names and numbers etc.

We had been returning the egged females back to the water. The guy from DFO said that it was a "fine theory" but that he doubted that the Prawns falling through the water column would make it to the bottom and cover before being eaten by Rockfish and other predators.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

It only make sense to throw back the females. Commercial prawners have to sort out the ones too small and throw them back. Even if one out of five females laden with eggs makes it back to the bottom, it makes it all worthwhile.
I prawn in Stuart Channel and I am sure the survival rate is even better than 1 in 5 because there is next to no predation, much like other areas on the east side of Van. Isle.

I prawn Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast and E.C.V.I. and I believe my undersize or preggy prawns do make the bottom. Because there are no bottom fish.

Thanks everyone for your coments to this thread. I'm fishing the sunshine coast & believe there are lots of preditory fish even though the area is protected.I pull them up in the traps often & release lot's of ling's while trolling for salmon. More input would be most gooderest.
THANX AGAIN.

Speaking of no bottom fish, what was the coast gaurd test fishery boat doing trawling up the middle of the white islete RCA this summer/fall??????:( Always thought the CA stood for conservation area?
Realy pissed me off!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

I'm setting my priorities, I'm making time for fishing.

.....good question....
.....my guess is its a waste putting any prawns back after being hawled up 300-400 ft......one thing Ive noticed is how their eyes change color from a radiant pink to black quickly after being exposed to light.....hence ,probably blind if released to the bottom and succestable to preditation..........
,,the water pressure/temperature changes dont seem to factor much into their survival rate after being dropped back down,as I have lowered and raised holding cages many times over and over again (commercial fishing),to add to the cages....
just my thoughts :)

Back