Weird Gas Tank Issue...

Seafever

I have a 6 gallon plastic gas tank. The newer kind with the pressure regulator valve built into the hose.

So the tank is sitting half empty. On a dead flat surface.

Vent screw on black plastic filler cap is "open".

But...gas keeps seeping out of the black metal fitting where the hose connects to the tank. Right beside the built in gas gauge.

Why would gas be leaking out of there when it only half full and doesn't reach that part?

If you know why it does that , do you know a "fix" ?

I have a 6 gallon plastic gas tank. The newer kind with the pressure regulator valve built into the hose.

So the tank is sitting half empty. On a dead flat surface.

Vent screw on black plastic filler cap is "open".

But...gas keeps seeping out of the black metal fitting where the hose connects to the tank. Right beside the built in gas gauge.

Why would gas be leaking out of there when it only half full and doesn't reach that part?

If you know why it does that , do you know a "fix" ?
Sounds like the quick connect seal between the tank and the hose is leaking. Watch when you pump the primer ball to see if it leaks more then.

different lines on the tanks.... It leaks from the always open breather valve. There is a little rubber boot inside the cap that has a pin hole in it. I might try enlarging the hole and see if it helps.

Strange that it leaks from all three with different lines on it. It has to be something common to all three. Are all the tanks the same style and brand? If not- surely the breather cannot be at fault on all three? If they are all the same brand--- can you find a different breather that fits?

Mine doesn't leak from the hose anywhere....it leaks out from under the gasket that is under the black metal fitting where the gas gauge is.....which is screwed to the tank...

I believe that these tanks are made to have a constant 5 psi in them...the breather valve on the filler cap I was told is "one way'...it lets air in but doesn't let it out..

I tried rescrewing/tightening the gas gauge fitting......

Now I'm thinking when it sits half empty, the gas evaporates and builds up pressure...but maybe not enough to trigger the regulator valve.

What I can't figure out is how it pushes gas out from the fitting when the tank is half empty.....

When I'm running the tank on the boat I have to put it under a shaded part....or the sunlight +pressure will expand the tank quite a bit oversize.

It's called progress...but I call it a pain in the a*s.

Mine doesn't leak from the hose anywhere....it leaks out from under the gasket that is under the black metal fitting where the gas gauge is.....which is screwed to the tank...

I believe that these tanks are made to have a constant 5 psi in them...the breather valve on the filler cap I was told is "one way'...it lets air in but doesn't let it out..

I tried rescrewing/tightening the gas gauge fitting......

Now I'm thinking when it sits half empty, the gas evaporates and builds up pressure...but maybe not enough to trigger the regulator valve.

What I can't figure out is how it pushes gas out from the fitting when the tank is half empty.....

When I'm running the tank on the boat I have to put it under a shaded part....or the sunlight +pressure will expand the tank quite a bit oversize.

It's called progress...but I call it a pain in the a*s.

I think it's just 1 PSI that the tanks will pressurize to. If there is no liquid near the gas gauge, maybe the temperature drop of the vapour coming out and hitting cool air is turning the vapour back to liquid? This new style means the system will be under positive pressure frequently so it will show all your leaks off.. :) If you get good seals on all your fittings I would guess the leaks will go away.

It doesn't matter how full or empty the tank is, the pressure inside will build to the relief pressure and then start to vent out.

On the plus side the positive pressure inside the tank makes it slightly less likely you'll get water in and your gas will have a better shelf life. :)

Back