weight of salmon based on length

ReelDreams

Hey guys is there a reference guide that can be used vs. Actually weighing a fish.

I caught a 34" chum and was Curious as to what it may have weighed. I had no scale at the time.

Thanks

For steelhead. a good guestimate was 10 lbs for 30". subtracting or adding a pound per inch within 4". 26"=6lbs, 36+ 16 lbs. Of course once you get bigger a inch is more, and allowances have to be made for deeper bodied fish. Generally SH are thinner. Getting out the tape and accurately measuring fish that you are releasing probably is probably handling it more than you need to.

The link above in Vic's post uses a division by 775 and mentions it is for both Salmon and Steelhead. The equation used for steelhead I have understood is normally different than Salmon because of the nature of Steelhead apparently having a slightly different weight to size ratio ( denser apparently)

For Salmon I use the more widely used calculation of girth inches X girth inches X length inches divided by 800 . I use division of 800 as over the years I have found that for Chinook salmon it seems very accurate and also has been used by catch and release derbies such as the $25,000 Vancouver Chinook Classic in the Fall. Girth is the more crucial measurement as girth size changes the weight quite rapidly as it increases.

A 34" Chinook would probably be in the 17-19 lbs range but could be a little more or less depending on girth circumference. A 34" Chum would tend to have less girth than a Spring so I'd guess a 34" chum to be about 15-16 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Girth was close to 23*23*34/800= 22.4825

That's a good sized fish.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's one fatty chum! - overeating this fall, just like me :O

Back