wats the best crab bait????

prawn heads, chicken backs, smashed gooey ducks

in that order, Although a deer carcase works wonders when one is available lol. Ling carcase works great too but cant say that salmon parts have done me any good ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey there im heading out crabbing soon and im wondering at the best kind of crab bait is, also would prawn pellets work?? thank you

Cho Mama! Hopes it not too close GH no one has asked about choice bait in a while. Can't beat Yo Mama's meat!! Gotta love tha wisky...

fresh chicken, not previous frozen, break the bones so the marrow leaks out.

but cant say that salmon parts have done me any good ever.

Say wut?????? ling carcasses, clams and freezer burned salmon is all I use-- works great

Salmon heads are deadly! Ling carcass is also deadly.

32 crabs in our trap after an 8 hour soak with a ling carcass and salmon head. Two weeks ago off the north arm of fraser.

attachment.php

Attachments

• full crab trap.jpg
    full crab trap.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 239
Holy trap load there trendsetter! That's all I use too with good results. I figure use up carcasses etc. from fish caught and get the most out of the resource. I know chicken works but I just hate going to the store lol.

Salmon heads and backbones work the best, i find chicken doesnt work nearly as good as chicken.

I've found that prawn heads out fish them all!! Not uncommon to have 20 crab a trap after an overnite soak.

When you're doing carcasses or heads, it's not so much the bait but how you put it in the trap. hang it from the roof of the trap! Crab like to pick,pick,pick, and something hanging has more surface area to lay out a scent trail and once they find it, more surface area for them to pick, pick, pick, which attracts their buddies.

If you're ever out on the water without bait, throw a jig over the side and jig up a couple of rock sole or yellowfin sole. String a wire through their eye sockets and hang them from the roof of the trap.

Pick, pick, pick.....

Salmon works fine for me. Get some blood and guts in too if you can. Chicken backs/necks are the best and prawn heads are really good too. Really almost anything I have tried works if your in the right area. I don't use chicken often mainly because I'm too cheap to buy bait when i can save it from a catch.

Salmon works fine for me. Get some blood and guts in too if you can. Chicken backs/necks are the best and prawn heads are really good too. Really almost anything I have tried works if your in the right area. I don't use chicken often mainly because I'm too cheap to buy bait when i can save it from a catch.

yes saving it from a catch is good but freezing seems to be the difference... fresh is best,, wether it be chickens or fishes guts/cases, fresh is best, summer in barkley sound all we use is fresh cuz its available, when crabbin in up indian arm or burrard/van harbour---winter, chicken parts is cheap and fishes better for the crabbies than frozen fish cases... fresh is best!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back