Water spitting from Yamaha 225 exhaust port

Cabezon1

Is it normal to have water spitting out from the exhaust relief port of an outboard? Just installed a 2005 Yamaha 225 four stroke outboard and the other day noticed water was spitting out from the exhaust hole directly under cowling. Prior to installing the engine on the starboard side, had my mechanic scoped the mid section for corrosion and everything was fine.

I believe there should be 2 ports - exhaust above water discharge. was there any overheating on the 2005 - either before or after you installed?

I believe there should be 2 ports - exhaust above water discharge. was there any overheating on the 2005 - either before or after you installed?
No overheating. Just water spitting out from the exhaust port. I have twin Yamis and only one is spitting so I am not sure what to make of it.

Those ports are for pressure relief..there is a pressure relief valve which dumps any water in excess of what the cooling system needs. It should just be spitting slightly at idle and more will be expelled at higher rpms when up on plane. You could check the valve and make sure it isn't stuck in the open position if its dumping lots of water at idle. Its a simple plastic plug with a spring...when water pressure pushes hard enough to overpower the spring water escapes.

Back