Water In Fuel Tank. What Are My Options?

Stizzla

Crew Member
I had a member walk to through troubleshooting my engine issues and it has been decided there is water in the fuel.
I have a full 35gal bow tank at the moment. Am I best to take it in a get it drained? With Methyl Hydrate take care of it? How much do I use?
When can i run it again?

thanks y’all!

I had a bad gas cap in the motor well (poor design) that allowed a fair bit of water into the built-in fuel tank. The motor quit. I had to drain the tank so I got an electric fuel pump, some hose and a filter and pumped all the fuel into big jerry cans. I went into the tank through the outlet fitting. Most of the water came out into the filter right away and there was a fair amount of it. It also cleared out a bit of other debris from the tank. I replaced the Racor spin-on and the motor filters including the VST screen. I eventually burned the fuel from the jerry cans, mixing with fresh fuel. The motor has run fine since. I did relocate the fuel filler, as well.

One of the fuel polishing services could have done the same job for $300 plus filters. The pump and hose cost about $100. I had the jerry cans already.

Exact same as Foxsea, my DE overflow/vent was installed wrong (no loop in hose) and water went in discharge on rough days. Engine alarm came on and yes water in tank, think gallons. Canadian Tire has a hand pump with lots of tubbing for $20 (red), after flow starts pull pump of line and let gravity empty tank, very fast. I drained it out into Gerry cans (think 9 ) pulled in-floor tank and cleaned, reinstalled and all is good. Then poured gas into clear buckets, to cheap to dispose of that much gas, water very easy to see and remove, added gas cleaner and used diluted with new fresh gas in truck.

Change out racor and also small fuel filter on motor, also emptied all lines of water fuel before adding new gas. Problem solved and cost $20 and some time and mess.

HM

Want to come over to my place to tomorrow for an unrelated topic? (It’s a trap.)

I'm in CR so bit far to Sydney. Not sure how accessible your tank is? Fuel sender should? be at rear of tank. Not a real big job, couple hours and Motley will be running normal. (Nice BTW.) Lower front of boat, take out sender, then slowly raise bow, any water will run to rear of tank, with that CT pump was very easy for me to direct at lowest corner getting most water fast. If you can get all fluids out there may be no real need to remove tank, I did as it was easy. Refill with new fuel and out for your next longer fish catching, non weight loosing voyage.

HM

Had water getting into fuel tank few years ago due to poor installation of sender. Once replaced haven’t had any issues with any water in racor whatsoever.

First go get a racor filter and as few extra filters for on hand and install it if its a outboard you will have a see tru bowl when you see water just put a can under it and drain it DO NOT let it get completely filled with water as then the filter is useless keep draining it till its out I suggest look after every trip out... be careful with meths hyrate use sparingly

I just went through this a couple weeks ago, bad fuel from Marina. There was no time but to keep running er and draining racor sediment bowl 2-3 times a trip. Ran tanks dry and changed filter on main the first day I noticed it. Been clean since and cost me nothing and no down time. If you wanted to cure at home you could tie into supply hose which draws from rear of tank. Have bow up and siphon er dry into Gerry cans etc. Good luck!

If you can get your contaminated fuel into jerry cans Hartland recycle centre will take it. No fee if you say it's recycle that is not taken curbside.

If you can get your contaminated fuel into jerry cans Hartland recycle centre will take it. No fee if you say it's recycle that is not taken curbside.
Do I have to give up the Jerry cans or do they have a tank for it?

Back