Wasps

pescador

I was reminded Sunday morning in Victoria while prepping/vaccum packing my Nootka catch of how wasps go nuts when salmon is around. I must have ended up with 100 of them around me as I packaged things up. Anybody got any tricks on what they do to keep wasps away in the summer if you're prepping your salmon outside?

I was thinking of buying one of those Dirt Devil portable vacuums-spray some insecticide inside and poison the bastids.

But it is uncanny how wasps appear from nowhere to end up all over Salmon-Tuna too for that matter must be something to do with protein I suppose.

FWIW they also also love Cheese and were all over the Friulano @ a picnic this weekend.

I started at 0800 and still found the bast@rds showed up. I did find the night before when the sun started to go down then left, but, kind of hard working after dark even with lights. There has to be a vinegar/sugar trick out there somewhere? I don't like processing inside as a result of the mess.

I started at 0800 and still found the bast@rds showed up. I did find the night before when the sun started to go down then left, but, kind of hard working after dark even with lights. There has to be a vinegar/sugar trick out there somewhere? I don't like processing inside as a result of the mess.

I proccess inside because of the wasp problem. I proccessed all yesterday with the kitchen door open and only one came in all day. They were pretty aggressive while I was hosing fish off and bringing them in though.
It does make a bit of a mess but I have an understanding wife and she helps me to clean up when it's done.
I've never found anything that will keep the wasps away short of using a wasp bomb but you don't want that stuff anywhere near your fish.
Dave

I know this might sound crazy but take a brown paper lunch bag fill it with air use an elastic band to seal in the air and hang it on a string where you want to keep them little buggers away from. The wasps think its a nest and stay away. Tried it and it works had one on my patio never was bothered by wasps

Cheers ME

That bag trick didnt work for me, I purchased one of the commercially produced ones that look just like a big hive and hung it on my back deck
Turns out it was the perfect spot for them to start building a new nest inside of it

take a large piece of cardboard and spray contact glue all over it real thick , sprinkle with a bunch of small raisin /grape size pieces of scrap salmon .
put it off to the side where you are working. easy access to thier flight pattern. they land beside the fish and STICK. the buzz attacks more and they too become stuck.
when your done you will have most of the nest stuck to the glue.

take a large piece of cardboard and spray contact glue all over it real thick , sprinkle with a bunch of small raisin /grape size pieces of scrap salmon .
put it off to the side where you are working. easy access to thier flight pattern. they land beside the fish and STICK. the buzz attacks more and they too become stuck.

That's an awsome idea. Bring on the summer!

That's an awsome idea. Bring on the summer!

[CGBDWER-wUI] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBDWER-wUI

we got one of the phermone attractor bags. it filled up real fast. worked great... now we have wasp soup. got it at a pet store in victoria.

Wasps are territorial. Supposedly when they see a nest they move away. May have worked but thinking wasps are evolving. Thank God we only have to deal with them in any numbers in Sept /Oct

Bags supposedly represent other nests

I personally like the tennis racket style bug zapper, you watch them fry, but don't miss them.

Back