Warrior Tug in a bind

Tailspin

A girlfriend took these pics from her deck, of the "Warrior" Lafarge Tug off Vic golf course the other day, scary stuff. She has more low tide pics, it is allegedly still on the hard. Now that is a bad bloody day.

warriortugonrocks.jpg

Trial Isl.
warrior2.jpg

warrior3.jpg

Warrior4.jpg

www.tailspincharters.com

Hey Justin What does the wife think of the "girl friend" or is that supposed to be hush hush LOL LOL
Did you go buy the new quad????

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Why do you suppose they got so close to the rocks? GPS out to lunch?
hmmm...

JUST FISHEN'

Whats the latest? With the wind storm forecast for this evening I hope they already got her free. By tommorro that thing will have been pounded otherwise.

I work in that area and see Tugs pulling barges and log booms threw there all the time. That passage is so tight, there is no room for error. I am sure they know what they are doing, but this is why they should be going around Trial. That barge is hung big time, they are pumping water 24 hrs..

Tournament Proven !

Sounds to me like the barges that squeeze right between The Secretary Island when theres 25-30 boats fishing out there :(:(.
Should there be rule out there or is it "I'm big you're small get the #### out of my way" rule.
I wonder if one was at anchor, would these guys go around or by the time they realize you are anchored ...well ... its too late.
cheers

JUST FISHEN'

From what i understand the tug & barge were traveling
in bad condtions, too nasty to go outside of Trial
and blowing hard.
Captain must have chose the inside route, and lost on the gamble
due to wind, tide, and long lead cable on the barge.
Too bad, as now his ticket will be under review i'm sure.

Times Colonist, January 4, 2009

A cement barge run aground in Oak Bay has been towed to Esquimalt Harbour.Photograph by: Debra BrashA 60-foot cement barge run aground near Oak Bay since New Year’s day has been freed and towed to Esquimalt Harbour, according to the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre and towing company, Seaspan International.

The barge, owned by construction material supplier Lafarge, listed against the rocks in Enterprise Channel, between Oak Bay and Trial Island for nearly four days, creating quite a spectacle for passersby.

Attempts to float the barge over the past few days, including the use of multiple tugs, tides and cranes, were unsuccessful.

Divers estimated there to be damage to the hull. According to a Transportation Safety Board report, the barge has a welded steel hull. It was built in 1981 and is used for hauling aggregate. It was involved in a collision with a wood-hulled fishing vessel in 2005 in Swanson Channel.

No one was aboard the barge when it went aground around 4 a.m. Jan. 1. Two tugboat operators towing the vessel were not harmed and no pollutants were spilled in the water. Lafarge has not commented as to what cause the barge to run aground or what was able to finally free it.

lots of misinformation on this one. I heard the call on the radio on new years eve just after 5pm. All the news stations were reporting that it happened at 4am on new years day!!? I went down at 6pm and he was hard aground. Basically the tug operator screwed up. Going west through Enterprise channel on a Ebb with a south west wind on a long leash was a pretty foolish thing to do.Probably had a party to go to and was cutting corners. Oh well something actually happened in Oak Bay for a change. Poor ******* will probably get crucified for this one.

Back