wanted: awesome binoculars for my boat

Last_Call

I'm on the hunt for a pair of nice binoculars to keep on my boat. After some initial research it looks like there's a massive range in price and quality and wanted to see what other boaters have found to be good for them.

Lots of relatively cheap options out there but wondering if going for imaging stabilizing binoculars are worth it? They come at a hefty price tag, essentially starting at $1,000 and going up from there.

Open to a nice used pair as well if anyone is selling. thx

I'm on the hunt for a pair of nice binoculars to keep on my boat. After some initial research it looks like there's a massive range in price and quality and wanted to see what other boaters have found to be good for them.

Lots of relatively cheap options out there but wondering if going for imaging stabilizing binoculars are worth it? They come at a hefty price tag, essentially starting at $1,000 and going up from there.

Open to a nice used pair as well if anyone is selling. thx
Following as well.

I looked at image stablized binoculars as well but a bit too pricey. Have aslo heard that the Canon is a good brand.
I dont think image stabilization would work that well on a small boat. Too much bouncing most of the time. More for a small yacht like 40 or 50 feet.

So I decided to get a good pair of normal binoculars and after doing a bit of research settled on the Nikon Aculon 211 10x50.
Got them at Best Buy and they are far and away the best pair I have ever had. Rubber coated too. There are different models and magnifcation you can get, 12 x 50, 8 x 42, etc.

I looked at image stablized binoculars as well but a bit too pricey. Have aslo heard that the Canon is a good brand.
I dont think image stabilization would work that well on a small boat. Too much bouncing most of the time. More for a small yacht like 40 or 50 feet.

So I decided to get a good pair of normal binoculars and after doing a bit of research settled on the Nikon Aculon 211 10x50.
Got them at Best Buy and they are far and away the best pair I have ever had. Rubber coated too. There are different models and magnifcation you can get, 12 x 50, 8 x 42, etc.

those looks awesome and great price! but I think @Sir Reel @Rain City @Sttr all need to mount telescopes on their command bridges and wear a pirate hat while using it! lol :p

I love good binocs.
When I get off the water, I drive around in my truck at 9 knots, head on a swivel and if I see something interesting, I reach down to pull up the binocs. Then I realize I'm in my truck on the main drag in town.

I find the 10x50 a little hard to hold steady. The Canon 8x50 binos we used to have had great optics the only complaint I had with them is that they didn't float.

Sweet thanks!

I also just found them for cheaper on Amazon.

Nikon 8248 ACULON A211 10x50 Binocular (Black) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00B7LQARS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_7X6TBREGAHS56W3TK02P

Sweet thanks!

I also just found them for cheaper on Amazon.

Nikon 8248 ACULON A211 10x50 Binocular (Black) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00B7LQARS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_7X6TBREGAHS56W3TK02P
thx guys. I just ordered a pair of these Nikon's on amazon so that I've got something on my boat for now. Thanks for sharing the info. looks like they have good reviews. I'll continue to look for a good pair of image stabilization ones as well but at least i'll have some time to search now.

thx guys. I just ordered a pair of these Nikon's on amazon so that I've got something on my boat for now. Thanks for sharing the info. looks like they have good reviews. I'll continue to look for a good pair of image stabilization ones as well but at least i'll have some time to search now.
Ordered for myself as well. Can't beat the price.

i have some leupold gold ring 10/42 I use for hunting, I find hard to focus with on a boat, for just boat use I would go 8x32. If you a bit shaky like me you will see what I mean lol

I am on the water most days looking for whales and marine life etc. I have owned a lot of binos and I thought I would roll the dice with a chinese pair.

The quality of the glass is off the charts considering the price. I have Image stabilized binos and IS Canon camera lenses and these binos out perform them all ! quite heavy but can't say enough good things about them! I am in Victoria if you want to check them out.

Brian www.OakBayTours.com

Last edited:
Ordered for myself as well. Can't beat the price.
Hope they work out for you, but I find that good glass is worth every penny and the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. If you find you’re getting eye strain and headaches, ditch them

Besides looking at cell screens, I have found that use of binos is a sure way for a guest/buddy to get nausea ;-)

Back