Want to buy a NEW boat. Please help!

All, I'm planning on retiring in 2024 and want to buy what is hopefully my last boat. I have owned a 2004 trophy 2002 (17 years) and a 1998 Pursuit 2870 (last 3 years).
if youre retiring why not buy a boat you can go down to mexico in ? its not like youre going to have somewhere to be all the time.
get a Ranger R-27 or R-29

if youre retiring why not buy a boat you can go down to mexico in ? its not like youre going to have somewhere to be all the time.
get a Ranger R-27 or R-29
Fancy! But not my cup of tea. Although I am retiring from my surgical practice, I still have more than enough things to keep me busy - including running grand slam bucktails. Really do like the walk around layout for fishing. Not a fan of a pilot house with a second helm station.

hb

Fancy! But not my cup of tea. Although I am retiring from my surgical practice, I still have more than enough things to keep me busy - including running grand slam bucktails. Really do like the walk around layout for fishing. Not a fan of a pilot house with a second helm station.

hb
Now I see where your budget came from. :)

hb
You prefer to steer from the main helm while fishing?

hb
heres something different with a good size deck :
or if you want to go big or go home:

Last edited:
You prefer to steer from the main helm while fishing?
yes! I like sitting in a comfortable chair with good views and access to all of my electronics. That's why the walk around layout works so well for me. Would be VERY difficult to do that with a pilot house layout. Different strokes for different folks!

@zurk Looking for NEW boats only. Thanks!

HB

Where did you purchase/trial your boat?
We purchased one of the early hulls. When they were Inboard. From a broker I used to deal with back east. Back then they were Inboard and soft top. Extremely rare to find. We build the boat into what we wanted. I sent the build pics into Northcoast (c&c fiberglass) and they loved the build. This was right when they were transitioning to outboard brackets for the northcoast lineup.

The 23 model is not an offshore boat. Just keep that in mind. However it's wicked for anything you feel like doing on the inside. I've had it through west 30s at race rocks on a tide, and had it through winds in the high 40s coming in the river. So it will take it, even with the 10 degree in the stern. It's a very difficult boat to describe. Best I can do is offer you a boat ride if your interested in these boats.

My 2-cents...

Unfortunately there are hardly any companies building mid-20 ft walk arounds these days. Grady White is probably the only company with a number of options. I know you weren't impressed by the 232 you went on, but to be honest, GW has one of the better reputations out there so I don't think you are going to find a new build with similar or higher quality.

I know you said you wanted a new boat, but if you are looking for Pursuit quality, I'd reconsider and spend some time looking for a pristine OS 255 and have it repowered (if necessary) and have any work done to bring it up to your standards. Even with new electronics, upholstery, power, full cut/polish/wax you'll still be under your budget. And if the "perfect" new boat comes along, you'll have a boat someone will be willing to pay a premium for. I've found that Pursuits have their systems well laid out and support is great, which makes them easy to upgrade (I have an OS 3070 / aka OS 305) if you go that route.

So in my mind it comes down to either new GW 232 or a second hand Pursuit OS 255. The 232 is a big 23 footer with the extra beam and will be a bit more stable, but the 255 with narrower beam will ride a bit better in the chop. Similar power for each, so layout will be the other factor. I think those are your options...

Last edited:
yes! I like sitting in a comfortable chair with good views and access to all of my electronics. That's why the walk around layout works so well for me. Would be VERY difficult to do that with a pilot house layout. Different strokes for different folks!

@zurk Looking for NEW boats only. Thanks!

HB
heres the new one :
with port berth as standard :

Your obviously have very high standards set for your new boat,I think "CBsqd" nailed it as those are my thoughts.How do you feel about custom aluminum boats like Nothwest and Jaxoncraft,Wolf etc.? I know you said fiberglass and I feel the same way,but they will custom build what you want and your $200K is worth $260K up here.Otherwise look at east coast U.S.for something like a Judge,Steiger,,Scout (Abaco) are very nice.

Your obviously have very high standards set for your new boat,I think "CBsqd" nailed it as those are my thoughts.How do you feel about custom aluminum boats like Nothwest and Jaxoncraft,Wolf etc.? I know you said fiberglass and I feel the same way,but they will custom build what you want and your $200K is worth $260K up here.Otherwise look at east coast U.S.for something like a Judge,Steiger,,Scout (Abaco) are very nice.
Good call on the Scout, often forgotten but great boats.

Back