Wannabe Islander

P

prarieoyster

I just want to thank all of the members for the valued info that I've been soaking in for the past couple of years. Last years FISHING holiday was in the Denman Island area and the fishing was... OK, a beginners experience...lots of seals, scared the sh-t out my kids. This year we are going to fish the Sooke area, end of July - beginning of Aug. One question...how do you target a certain species of fish, pinks or springs (chinooks) is it different hooks, bait or depth.

can totally depend on speed, depth, area, bait/lure/set-up etc... were you looking for how to fish for pinks comparfed to chnooks?

EDIT: MY BAD! Thought you said for example pinks and chinooks.... i have never fished for pinks specifically... they are very easy to catch... i would focus on fishing for springs because the pinks are the ones taking your bait!!! At least for me... I'm not a pink fan, but whenever i fish for chinook the pinks always hit too...

Short answer is gear and location. If you are going to be in Sooke at the end of the month with kids, you could target springs by trying fishing with anchovie as bait anywhere near the shore you see a collection of boats. Off Secretary Island (Donaldson) just east of the Sooke Harbour mouth is a good place to start. You mentioned kids--if you go straight out to the second tide line and put on pink hootchies behind a hotspot flasher you and your kids will get nonstop pink salmon with some coho thrown in for good measure.Fish the flashers from 20 to 80 ft down. That would be my bet if I had the kids along. There will be no shortage of fish for you and your family. Have fun.
T2

Simple answer to your question is yes.If you are going to fish Sooke normally you will fish in close to shore for springs,using bait.Keep in mind though bait can be diffcult for a beginner to get right and may be some what frustrating.On the other hand fishing for pinks is pretty much fool proof and can be a lot of fun for the kids,generaly you will fish a bit further out for them.But there will be a mixture of coho out there and you should learn to tell them apart,since they will proably be closed except for hatchery ones.Having said that springs will bite on pink set ups, and pinks will bite on spring set ups.And about the time you get here the pink run will be going pretty good and they will be everywhere.Theres a couple of posts on how to catch the pinks in the last couple of days,Good luck. DAN

Drop me a line as you are getting closer to getting out here. Would be happy to show you the spots, gear etc that is working for whatever you are after (granted I am still catching something). I keep my boat at Cheanuh marina which is right in Sooke. Would be happy to help out.

Thanks Barbender, I'm going to take you up on your offer. Can you send me a PM with your phone number. I'll be in town on the 28th.

Back