Volunteers Needed for Steelhead Stream Enrichment

cohochinook

Hi all,

The BCCF and the Steelhead Program are once again spearheading the nutrient enrichment program in the lower Fraser Valley. This includes the Coquihalla River, Silverhope Creek, Chilliwack River and a few of its tributaries and Statlu Creek. We’d like to get local groups and individuals involved in the projects by enlisting volunteers.

Our plan for the coming weeks:

1) Fertilizer placed in Coquihalla R & Silverhope Ck: Sunday, June 24: Date is tentative based on volunteer availability; we may move this to the following weekend if necessary.

2) Fertilizer placed in Foley Creek & Centre Creek (Chilliwack tribs): Tuesday, June 26 (firm date). Meet at On The Way store at 9:00am and travel to sites from there (goodies provided by Steelhead program & BCCF). Possible trip to liquid drip site on the mainstem?

3) Fertilizer placed in Statlu Creek: Thursday, June 28 (tentative). Meet at the Sasquatch motel at 9:00am and travel to site from there.

There will be further volunteer opportunities with respect to our fertilization monitoring program that is ongoing throughout the summer (monitor river levels & fertilizer bag re-placement, water & algae sampling…).

If you or any member of your community is interested in coming out for these days or would like to be on an Enrichment Volunteer email list, please send contact info to my email address or give me a call at the numbers below.

I’ll confirm a list of people for numbers 1) and 2) above by the end of the day this Friday.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you,

Sheldon Reddekopp, B.Sc., Dipl. Computers

BC Conservation Foundation

Greater Georgia Basin Steelhead Recovery Plan

17564 56A Ave

Surrey, BC V3S 1G3

O: (604) 576-1432 ext 320

C: (604) 834-3470

sreddekopp@bccf.com

:):)

Back